Old May 19th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

Default they call this good condition, what would you call it ?

It does look tempting as a project, but don't assume it's only exterior
cosmetic issues. If it's that bad on the outside, what do you suppose you'd
find once you open her up? Still, it might be worth trying.

"James Douglas" wrote in message
. ..
mike maghakian wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-YAESU-MO... QcmdZViewItem

But what if it worked, might be fun to clean it up like new, a little body
work here and they. For $40 probably might have a good summer project to
work on.

Old May 19th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Undisclosed Shill Bidder #7

Default Would you buy a used car from this radio man ?

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
It does look tempting as a project, but don't assume it's only exterior
cosmetic issues. If it's that bad on the outside, what do you suppose

you'd
find once you open her up? Still, it might be worth trying.

Not worth touching PERIOD. Only way the cover paint could
get burned off like that is if the radio was exposed to something
corrosive like salt water or chemicals. My guess is this radio
was salvaged from a boat that was partially sunk in salt water
and he hosed it down and let it dry in the sun to make it look
pretty or it sat in someone's paint or metal shop and it took the
brunt of a beating. Ask yourself if you would buy a USED CAR
that looked like this radio.

Old May 19th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
PowerHouse Communications

"Undisclosed Shill Bidder #7" wrote in message
groups.com...

Ask yourself if you would buy a USED CAR
that looked like this radio.

I probably would, but wouldn't pay much for it... In my neck of the woods,
used cars look like that within 5 or 6 years... Gotta love your local salt
truck!

Old May 20th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rodney Dangerfield www.rodney.com went to a used car lot.He found
one of his exgirldriends red dress in the back seat of one of those old
''used'' cars.
cuhulin

Old May 20th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"Undisclosed Shill Bidder #7" wrote in message
groups.com...

Not worth touching PERIOD. Only way the cover paint could
get burned off like that is if the radio was exposed to something
corrosive like salt water or chemicals.

I've fixed up radios which looked worse than that. They all looked OK on
the inside. It's my guess the damage to the exterior is caused by humidity
and temperature fluctuations. Dew collects on the outside, soaks into
scratches in the paint and under the plating and eventually rusts the steel
underneath.

I'd worry most about moisture damage to the coils and conductive deposits on
the cirucit boards. It is a pig in a poke.

My guess is this radio
was salvaged from a boat that was partially sunk in salt water
and he hosed it down and let it dry in the sun to make it look
pretty or it sat in someone's paint or metal shop and it took the
brunt of a beating. Ask yourself if you would buy a USED CAR
that looked like this radio.

I have. Rusty cars go cheap.

Frank Dresser

Old May 20th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Even my worst old beat up old crappy radios look better than that.I
suppose I would give him (or her) a dollar two nienty eight for that
radio.
cuhulin

Old May 20th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

geargrinder needs to get in the gears of my big old Craftsman Metal
Lathe.
cuhulin

Old May 20th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

mike maghakian wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-YAESU-MO... QcmdZViewItem

But what if it worked, might be fun to clean it up like new, a little
body work here and they. For $40 probably might have a good summer
project to work on.

That's right! Although I probably wouldn't spend even $40 unless I was sure
I could use the radio for parts.

Frank Dresser

Old May 19th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

mike maghakian wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-YAESU-MO... QcmdZViewItem

There is not much question about the condition of the receiver. Looks
like it sat in a humid shed for 20 years. My complaint is that the
seller is just another of those Ebay listing services. My experience
in getting questions answered from services like that has been so poor
that I will not bid on goods listed by them.

Old May 20th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you don't like eBay,,, why do you go there in the first place? I
click on some eBay links,once in a while.Maybe you need a girlfriend?
cuhulin

F.S. More good stuff. Brian Hill Swap 0 February 16th 05 05:22 PM
FS: Old Radio Related Books Oldbooks78 Equipment 0 May 28th 04 03:59 PM
FS: Old Radio Related Books Oldbooks78 Equipment 0 May 28th 04 03:59 PM
wtb: zetron 4010 or gaitronics consoles in good condition joe Swap 0 April 22nd 04 11:00 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM