Old May 19th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Squash

Default Eton E10 $50 at Radio Shack

In-store only. I bought one, liked it, went back and got another (it was
the display unit so I got RS's double warranty on it). Funny, the clearance
label on the display said it was $99, but I showed the print out of their
web page to the clerk, he looked it up on the computer and said that it was
indeed $49.97.
Old May 19th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Squash wrote:
In-store only. I bought one, liked it, went back and got another (it was
the display unit so I got RS's double warranty on it). Funny, the clearance
label on the display said it was $99, but I showed the print out of their
web page to the clerk, he looked it up on the computer and said that it was
indeed $49.97.

I bought one too, but it turned out to have a blemished display. RS
seems to put items on clearance, when there are only a few left, but
they are usually returned, or display items. Of course, the RS
salesman lied to me an said that it was, "new-in-the-box", so I
returned it. Since I couldn't find one that was sealed, so I could use
it as a backup, it wasn't worth it. Then, I did some research on the
Web, on the E10, because it has that IF Shift switch, and I was leary
that it might be single-conversion (dual-conversion set wouldn't need
this switch) - sure enough, it is single-conversion, without SSB. I
felt like a idiot, but the price seemed really good, and I only wanted
to use it for AM Dxing. Unbelievable, that RS would sell a
single-conversion, without SSB, receiver retail for $120. Grundig/Eton
seems to be making low-quality receivers with a bunch of useless
switches on them (e.g., the S350's wide/narrow and IF low-pass filters
and RF gain control) - a lot of glitz for $100. Also, I read that the
E10's antenna trimmer knob can be left in one position, so it seems to
be pretty useless. So looking on the Web, there are bunches of E10s
for $39 + S&H, on Ebay ! Eton is coming out with new E10s and E100s, I
believe, with some sort of new rubberized coating. Also, on Ebay,
there are Degen 1103s for $45 + $25 S&H - this is a far superior radio
to the E10; it has dual-conversion with SSB, and is probably much
better quality (people rave about it on Amazon and eham.net). No more
Grundig/Eton/Tecsun in my life !

Old May 23rd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
n0xnh

I bought one at the Dayton Hamvention on Saturday that was supposed to
be "new in the box". When I got it home and opened it up on Monday
afternoon there had been battery leakage in the battery compartment. I
did put batteries in it to see how it worked and it seems fine, but it
is going back in the next couple of days and either they will give me a
new one or I will get a refund. This is the kind of crap that seems to
happen to me at when I buy things at Radio Shack...I should have known
better. On the other hand, it seems like a pretty good buy at $50 and
seems to work pretty well.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

n0xnh wrote:
I bought one at the Dayton Hamvention on Saturday that was supposed to
be "new in the box". When I got it home and opened it up on Monday
afternoon there had been battery leakage in the battery compartment. I
did put batteries in it to see how it worked and it seems fine, but it
is going back in the next couple of days and either they will give me a
new one or I will get a refund. This is the kind of crap that seems to
happen to me at when I buy things at Radio Shack...I should have known
better. On the other hand, it seems like a pretty good buy at $50 and
seems to work pretty well.

This happens to me, also, at RS; they lie like Hell, and tell you it
is, "new-in-the-box",
until you get it home and find batteries in it because it was a
display, or returned item. I only shop there, when I have to; on
clearance sales, you can bet it is not, "new-in-the-box". I was lucky,
and found two discontinued, "new-in-the-box", RS radios that I use as
backups. This an interesting link, that shows how RS lies:

http://digg.com/links/Proof_that_Rad...o_lie _to_you.

Old May 23rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:
On 23 May 2006 03:07:49 -0700, wrote:

n0xnh wrote:
[...]

They're supposed to give you an extended warranty on display items.

Doesn't matter, I'm not going to buy a, "used", new item from them,
especially, if is a display item that has been handled by hundreds of
people, or, a returned item that someone has fooled with, and may have
something wrong with it...

Old May 24th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
PowerHouse Communications

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://digg.com/links/Proof_that_Rad...o_lie _to_you.

"Item not found"

Old May 24th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Squash wrote:
In-store only. I bought one, liked it, went back and got another (it was
the display unit so I got RS's double warranty on it). Funny, the clearance
label on the display said it was $99, but I showed the print out of their
web page to the clerk, he looked it up on the computer and said that it was
indeed $49.97.

According to the RS website, the radio has 550 resets! It's in the
specifications, under # of AM/FM Tuner Resets.

--
Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
Old May 25th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

550 resets!? Well,Gee Whiz,,, it's still a piece of crap even if it has
a million and one resets.
cuhulin

Old May 28th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

So in the opinion of the group, is the E10 a good radio at a great
price?