Old May 21st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hurricane Radio

I just bought a Black & Decker "Storm Station" all-in-one Rechargeable
Power Source / Radio / Light, from the local Wal-Mart here in Michigan
for $ 98.76. The device has a AM-FM-TV and NOAA Weather band radio.
Built-in Inverter, and a 12 volt outlet. Also a removable and
rechargeable flashlight. I charged the device up and tuned-in the local
and not so local radio stations. It's not a red-hot DX machine but it
does do the job very well. I suggest that those of you who are in
Hurricane Country should buy one of these radios NOW... and be ready for
the next killer storm. The Storm Station radio from Black & Decker will
do the job for you very well.

Best Regards,
Roger 507

Old May 21st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rayburn

For 100$ you can get a big honkin deep cycle battery that lasts 100 times
longer plus a decent AM/FM/WX band radio radio with a 12 volt external jack
and a newfangled LED flashlight that lasts for 30 days of solid running from
one set of batteries.BTW the inverter is only rated for 25 watts and really
sucks the life outta the system.....so if its anything bigger than a cell
phone charger forget it.....forget it anyway in a hurricane because cell
phones dont work after the first good wind! You can buy a cable for your
cell phone and run it from the battery direct for about 6 months of talk
time!...If you still have service that is.

The Black and Decker is a good deal for someone that knows not what a
positive and negative battery terminal is but otherwise they dont last long
and are pretty expensive for what you get.

BTW the flashlight takes 16 hours to recharge fully from the storm station
and in best conditions the entire radio/flashlight sytem lasts only 2 or 3
days till its too weak to be used....Its ok for a simple thunderstorm if
your afraid of the dark but not worth the bucks for a major catastrophe.

Old May 21st 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's a good light-duty device for those who don't have anything in the
line of emergency equipment. I know it has limitations, so does
everthing else. We had a Class 5 Tornado pass right over this house in
1956 and I remember it very well. I presently have a bank of deep-cycle
batteries as well as three (3) small gasoline generators and a pile of
Ham Radio equipment for both Base Operations and Portable use. The Black
and Decker "Storm Station" would be a welcome addition to a basement
shelter for a short-term emergency/survival situation.

Best Regards,
Roger 507