Old May 23rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
GP

Default icom R5 opinions

Is this radio any good for SW reception or is it meant strictly for
VHF/UHF?...I like the size and frequency range but kind of curious as
to how well it receives HF...

Thanks

Greg

Old May 24th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

GP wrote:

Is this radio any good for SW reception or is it meant strictly for
VHF/UHF?...I like the size and frequency range but kind of curious as
to how well it receives HF...

I have an Icom r-2 (two) and it isn't very good for shortwave. It may
pick up a half dozen stations on a good night. I don't know how much
better the r-5 is in comparison.

The Icom ic-r20 (twenty) may be a better bet. The Sideband reception is
prety good and it goes up to 3 Ghz.

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/receivers/r20/

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/receivers/r20/
Old May 24th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

"GP" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is this radio any good for SW reception or is it meant strictly for
VHF/UHF?...I like the size and frequency range but kind of curious as
to how well it receives HF...

Thanks

Greg

I have an old R-1 that I like to play with, but I would not call it a
shortwave receiver.

But, it's a nice little toy to take with you or sit outside with to see what
you can pick up. The R-1 is very small, so you can just stick in it your
pocket and go, thats the only reason I bought it.

I have never heard anyone say to many great things about SWL on widebanders.

Old May 25th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Warren

On 23 May 2006 14:59:57 -0700, "GP" wrote:

Is this radio any good for SW reception or is it meant strictly for
VHF/UHF?...I like the size and frequency range but kind of curious as
to how well it receives HF...

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

It is helpful for hearing band openings or if you get an antenna
adapter to connect a longer antenna to it but then it becomes a
non-portable radio!

I found that if I hear more than two or three stations in a band, then
I get my ICF-7600 out and tune the rest of the band (and many more
stations) with the Sony. So use it to spot bandopenings and then go
to your "good" set to hear the rest of them!

Warren
Old May 25th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
GP

Thanks for the info...
I have heard good things about the R5, but was not sure what one would
hear on HF with a scanner type radio....This would be a perfect radio
to travel with, but it is unfortunate that HF performance is not up to
par with a dedicated SW receiver...
Thanks again for the responce...
Greg

Useful Icom IC-R75 [R-75] Links for Facts and Information about the Icom IC-R75 [R-75] RHF Shortwave 1 January 3rd 05 08:56 AM
Last Day For Secret Icom Sale R-75 $425 Lucky Shortwave 6 October 17th 04 09:41 AM
Last Day For Secret Icom Sale R-75 $425 Lucky Swap 0 October 16th 04 10:45 AM
Icom R-20 Opinions consigliori Scanner 0 October 2nd 04 01:23 AM
Getting into the scanner hobby again.... thinking about the Icom IC-R3...opinions? j Scanner 2 January 24th 04 11:27 AM