RadioBanter

-   -   IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/95287-re-iboc-night-local-regiona-ams.html)

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 05:42 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved or
not?

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 27th 06 06:16 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message

[snip]

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

Just to be complete, IBOC isn't necessary to send radio text. FMers have
been able to send text in a limited form with RDS. It's kinda nifty, but
RDS text hasn't set the world on fire.

It is necessary to send on AM, though. And RDS was created to do something
which is almost unknown in the US... skip from transmitter to transmitter of
national simulcast networks.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 06:17 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

dxAce May 27th 06 06:23 PM

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 07:15 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

Where will these new found listeners come from? I've gotten the impression
just about nobody is listening to the radio during the night.

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 07:18 PM

"Telamon" wrote in message

[snip]

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

Just to be complete, IBOC isn't necessary to send radio text. FMers

have
been able to send text in a limited form with RDS. It's kinda nifty,

but
RDS text hasn't set the world on fire.

It is necessary to send on AM, though. And RDS was created to do something
which is almost unknown in the US... skip from transmitter to transmitter

of
national simulcast networks.

Right, but RDS would make a good low cost starting point for an expanded FM
text service. And we'd have it, if somebody thought there was real money in
it.

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:09 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:12 PM

[...]

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.

David May 27th 06 09:12 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:42:58 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved or
not?

Frank Dresser

Can't happen unless everybody has the digital receivers. Otherwise
they'll be covering each other up.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:16 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

Right, but RDS would make a good low cost starting point for an expanded
FM
text service. And we'd have it, if somebody thought there was real money
in
it.

Nobody wants to fight for RDS as it has no competitive advantage and is not
applicable to AM. As I said, it was developed for European simulcasts to
allow automatic signal seeking, which is not an issue in the USA.