RadioBanter

-   -   IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/95287-re-iboc-night-local-regiona-ams.html)

David Eduardo May 26th 06 04:27 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm actually wondering how this is going to turn out.

Imagine two transmitters: WWRU-AM 1660 in Carlstadt, and WTTM 1680 out
of Cherry Hill.

One serves the New York metro, the other serves the Trenton metro.
They're currently running regular AM. In certain parts of New Jersey,
the signals overlap. Both are owned by MRBI (Multicultural Radio).

I just wonder by how much their night-time range will be decreased
should these co-owned stations fire up IBOC at night. Surely that's
going to be some real hissy territory and there's going to be some
really ****ed off analog listeners.

I remember other MRBI-owned stations in the NYC metro testing out IBOC
during the day - AM 1480 WZRC/New York and AM 93 WPAT/Paterson both
tried it. If I recall, it didn't last long. They're back to standard
analog-only AM.

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because
they were concerned about the loss of ulltra fringe coverage to the 540 they
own in the Milwaukee market. Since the 540 lives, apparently, from preaching
and teaching paid programs, every listener with a donation insures renewal
of the programs, so they were protecting a (rather tenuous) revenue stream.

At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the
sponsor will enhance donations. Preachers can even scroll chapter and verse
of Scripture! The mind boggles!

Stephanie Weil May 26th 06 04:32 PM

David Eduardo wrote:

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because

From what I've read, Salem is holding off on implementing IBOC. They

want to sit back and see how it all develops before they jump into it,
so they say.

I still have my "La Tremenda 560" coffee mug. Got it shortly before
the station got sold off. You remeber the silly stuff that was being
sold by HBC through Coffee-Press? ^_^

--
steph

David Eduardo May 26th 06 04:53 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
ps.com...

David Eduardo wrote:

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because

From what I've read, Salem is holding off on implementing IBOC. They

want to sit back and see how it all develops before they jump into it,
so they say.

I still have my "La Tremenda 560" coffee mug. Got it shortly before
the station got sold off. You remeber the silly stuff that was being
sold by HBC through Coffee-Press? ^_^

Yeah, I remember. Not the most elegant creations...

Mark Zenier May 26th 06 06:03 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

In article ,
David Eduardo wrote:

At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the
sponsor will enhance donations. Preachers can even scroll chapter and verse
of Scripture! The mind boggles!

The sort of radio that audience (little old ladies on a pension) can
afford probably won't have that feature available. Some bitty little
plastic lump with a tiny display and buttons so small that they can't
be programmed by anybody over 9 years old.

Ergonomicly designed radios seem to be a high end niche.

Mark Zenier

dxAce May 26th 06 07:04 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the

That's an interesting point. The text data seems far more robust than
the audio; I've received 'text IDs' from AM-IBOC stations 800 miles
away, while digital audio from an 18-mile-distant station is difficult.
Maybe AM-IBOC will prove useful as a text-broadcasting scheme?

It has certainly succeeded as a QRM scheme.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Telamon May 26th 06 09:23 PM

"David Eduardo" wrote:

[...]

A better plan of frequencies to use IBOC on needs to be implemented
than just having stations start turning it on across the band day or
night.

I think more people are going to be ****ed off about losing their long
distance reception than you think. Just because such listening does not
show up in the surveys and so has nothing to do with a stations revenue
stream does not mean that there can not be a listener lash back when
the general population can't hear stations other than local ones
evenings.

Because this change will affect many people and the equipment used at
some point there has to be a more orderly transition of some sort. This
is apparent from current night time interference complaints.

Like any new technology as the number of manufactured units goes up the
price will go down.

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] May 26th 06 09:36 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

I own two Waterford Crystal coffee cups.(some other Waterford Crystal
thingys too) I never use them though,they just sit there on the shelf
and look pretty.
cuhulin

[email protected] May 26th 06 10:15 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

I done told y'all before,,,, U.S.fed govt does not like it that we can
pick up real news on Shortwave Radio.We will see if I am right.
cuhulin

Radio Buff May 27th 06 01:20 AM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

wrote in
:

I own two Waterford Crystal coffee cups.(some other Waterford Crystal
thingys too) I never use them though,they just sit there on the shelf
and look pretty.
cuhulin

Donate'em to Good-Will.

sc

David Eduardo May 27th 06 04:56 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Telamon,

The old Road Trip where you could may be travel 75 to 150 Miles
while 'listening' to the same AM Radio Station will be a thing of
the past with IBOC.

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

Every 35-50 Miles will require a the selection of a new AM Radio
Station and tuning in the locals as you go.

This jus tis not true, as listening to the HD stations in LA and San Diego
will prove.

. IBOC should
greatly benefit local AM Radio Stations and actually cut into the
Coverage Area of the old time 50KW Clear Channels due to all
the Adjacent Channel Noise that IBOC will generate across the
Band.

Since none of the clear channel stations (with all caps, it is a company,
not a class) really cares about covedring much else than the local metro
area and immediate fringe area, this will not affect anyone. Probably 95% of
the revenue of these, and all AMs, is generated in the daylight hours and
inside the primary groundwave contour.

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 05:42 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved or
not?

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 27th 06 06:16 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message

[snip]

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

Just to be complete, IBOC isn't necessary to send radio text. FMers have
been able to send text in a limited form with RDS. It's kinda nifty, but
RDS text hasn't set the world on fire.

It is necessary to send on AM, though. And RDS was created to do something
which is almost unknown in the US... skip from transmitter to transmitter of
national simulcast networks.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 06:17 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

dxAce May 27th 06 06:23 PM

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 07:15 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

Where will these new found listeners come from? I've gotten the impression
just about nobody is listening to the radio during the night.

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 07:18 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message

[snip]

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

Just to be complete, IBOC isn't necessary to send radio text. FMers

have
been able to send text in a limited form with RDS. It's kinda nifty,

but
RDS text hasn't set the world on fire.

It is necessary to send on AM, though. And RDS was created to do something
which is almost unknown in the US... skip from transmitter to transmitter

of
national simulcast networks.

Right, but RDS would make a good low cost starting point for an expanded FM
text service. And we'd have it, if somebody thought there was real money in
it.

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:09 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:12 PM

[...]

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.

David May 27th 06 09:12 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:42:58 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved or
not?

Frank Dresser

Can't happen unless everybody has the digital receivers. Otherwise
they'll be covering each other up.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 09:16 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

Right, but RDS would make a good low cost starting point for an expanded
FM
text service. And we'd have it, if somebody thought there was real money
in
it.

Nobody wants to fight for RDS as it has no competitive advantage and is not
applicable to AM. As I said, it was developed for European simulcasts to
allow automatic signal seeking, which is not an issue in the USA.

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 09:42 PM

IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. net...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

Right, but RDS would make a good low cost starting point for an expanded
FM
text service. And we'd have it, if somebody thought there was real

money
in
it.

Nobody wants to fight for RDS as it has no competitive advantage and is

not
applicable to AM. As I said, it was developed for European simulcasts to
allow automatic signal seeking, which is not an issue in the USA.

So, radio text needs every potential reader to eke out a profit? 60% of the
audience would not have been enough?

Frank Dresser

dxAce May 27th 06 09:44 PM

David Frackelton Gleason aka Eduardo the fake Hispanic from Cleveland wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one.

That's debatable. If I recall correctly, I've heard some of the stuff you claim
to be responsible for and it sucks.

I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

There's nothing 'free' about the IBOC QRM destroying two adjacent channels.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 09:55 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean

counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

If you mean "die as we know it", well, that's always happening. The radio
of 1966 is dead, as is the radio of 1926. Big deal. If nighttime IBOC AM
somehow timecapsules the radio of 2006, it's hardly worth it.

The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

Most podcasting is free, unless you count the cost of the internet
connection. However, downloaders would have the internet connection anyway,
so there's no additional cost.

I can see how the internet might cut into the radio establishment's profits.

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser May 27th 06 10:12 PM

[...]

But FM loses most of thier listeners at night. AM underindexes that. So,
at best, AM might lose only the same percentage of audience as FM.

Would the new, improved nighttime IBOC AM stations be luring listeners from
other distractions such as TV and the internet, or would they just be
stealing audience from the non-IBOC AM stations and FM stations?

But, if the entire radio industry is really, really facing an impending
doom, redistributing the audience is little different than rearranging the
deck chairs on the ...

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 27th 06 11:29 PM

[...]

texting alone is not a salable benefit. I can't think of a way to make it
so. It is, however, an added benefit, especially to HD digital audio.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 11:29 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

There's nothing 'free' about the IBOC QRM destroying two adjacent
channels.

.... that nobody listens to.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 11:35 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

It is, in business terms, in full matruation and in slow decline. It will
not grwo in usership, and will only grow slightly ahead of inflation in
revenues. At some point in time, the deliver system will be obsolete, but HD
can extend that somewhat.

If you mean "die as we know it", well, that's always happening. The radio
of 1966 is dead, as is the radio of 1926. Big deal. If nighttime IBOC AM
somehow timecapsules the radio of 2006, it's hardly worth it.

Radio will become a content driven industry, rather than a delivery system
model. Radio companies that move desirable content through new delivery
methods will survive. Others will not.

For 84 years, radio has been the same model. Get listeners, sell ads to
reach them. As long as that model is viable, radio will not be changed at
all.

The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio
is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

Most podcasting is free, unless you count the cost of the internet
connection. However, downloaders would have the internet connection
anyway,
so there's no additional cost.

Many of the more desirable podcasts are radio content, available for
listening on demand. It is just like TV wiht a TiVo.

I can see how the internet might cut into the radio establishment's
profits.

It has not so far, and probably the model that will work will be WiMax once
there is adequate bandwidth, low cost and an easy way to find content. A
radio dial is easy. A computer is less easy.

dxAce May 27th 06 11:36 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

David Frackelton Gleason aka Eduardo the fake Hispanic from Cleveland once again

David Eduardo May 27th 06 11:42 PM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.

But FM loses most of thier listeners at night. AM underindexes that. So,
at best, AM might lose only the same percentage of audience as FM.

No, if AM has 30% of all radio listening in the day, it has 15% at night.

Would the new, improved nighttime IBOC AM stations be luring listeners
from
other distractions such as TV and the internet, or would they just be
stealing audience from the non-IBOC AM stations and FM stations?

I have no idea, as we don ot know where they go. But if the big AMs get
decent daytime numbers, it is possible they will keep thse shares at night.

But, if the entire radio industry is really, really facing an impending
doom, redistributing the audience is little different than rearranging the
deck chairs on the ...

there is no short term danger. Radio is pretty resilient. HD is one example
of how we come up with ways of protecting our franchises. I have seen 45's,
cassettes, 8-tracks, CDs, VHS, BetaMax, CATV, HDTV, Video games, pay per
view, DVDs, computers, the Internet, and plenty more come, and some go. I
think I can survive one or two more attacks before going to live among the
pine trees in Arizona.

David Eduardo May 27th 06 11:43 PM

made no sense when he wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

There's nothing 'free' about the IBOC QRM destroying two adjacent
channels.

... that nobody listens to.

Nobody listens to the adjacent channels that are next to local stations. So
there is no loss if there is nobody there anyway.

[email protected] May 28th 06 01:34 AM

David Eduardo wrote:
"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

People tune for content first, then comes quality. I hear HD isn't as
good as XM, which makes is not as good as standardm FM.

Improving the signal to noise ratio or bandwidth of Gene Scott or
Brother Stair would not make me listen.

David Eduardo May 28th 06 04:43 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

wrote in message
oups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:
"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

People tune for content first, then comes quality. I hear HD isn't as
good as XM, which makes is not as good as standardm FM.

The quality of HD on FM is higher than CDs. On AM, it is slightly less. On
XM, it is like a 128 kbs MP3. You choose. To me, satellite sounds the worst
of all.

Improving the signal to noise ratio or bandwidth of Gene Scott or
Brother Stair would not make me listen.

It is about the fidelity, and openness on AM. It is close to current FM
analog quality.

David Eduardo May 28th 06 04:48 AM

"dxAce" wrote in message

There's nothing 'free' about the IBOC QRM destroying two adjacent
channels.

... that nobody listens to.

You know, I take great umbrage at your continued assertion that myself and
4 million others are "nobody". We are real, we don't conform to your
narrow view of the world, and we form a significant part of the economy.

You got that figure from me. 2% of the population 12+ ( of about 220
million) is the number of people who listen to AM at night (7 to midnight is
night), and they do listen, but to local stations. There is no discernable
listening to skywave out of market signals at night.

Frank Dresser May 28th 06 08:16 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

So, digital modulation is an attempt to extend the life of commericial
radio. Will digital modulation always remain free?

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser May 28th 06 08:18 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.

Has the radio establishment lobbied as hard for a reduction of
electromagnetic pollution from home electronics as it has for IBOC?

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo May 28th 06 08:26 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio
is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

So, digital modulation is an attempt to extend the life of commericial
radio. Will digital modulation always remain free?

Yes. The model is free for listener, paid by advertiser. There are nearly a
billion analog radios out there, so there is no effective way to do pay
radio, and the entire licensing system would have to change, something I
doubt the FCC and the folks on the Hill would stand for.

David Eduardo May 28th 06 08:28 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.

Has the radio establishment lobbied as hard for a reduction of
electromagnetic pollution from home electronics as it has for IBOC?

Since it only affects Am significantly, and does not affect AMs with good
signals, we are talking about very few stations that are otherwise viable
being affected. he real issue is that most AMs in the US do not serve
today's metro areas, and in more rural areas, most AMs were killed already
by docket 80-90 drop ins.

Frank Dresser May 28th 06 08:38 AM

IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. net...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

It is, in business terms, in full matruation and in slow decline. It will
not grwo in usership, and will only grow slightly ahead of inflation in
revenues. At some point in time, the deliver system will be obsolete, but

HD
can extend that somewhat.

What's the timeframe? When might the delivery system become obselete?

[...]

But there's no additional costs with most netcasts. Is there any guarantee
that IBOC won't have a pay radio angle?

I can see how the internet might cut into the radio establishment's
profits.

It has not so far, and probably the model that will work will be WiMax

once
there is adequate bandwidth, low cost and an easy way to find content. A
radio dial is easy. A computer is less easy.

Sure. It's easy to imagine Pandora like programs autoloading individualized
net programming into portable players and car radios in the near future.

So, who needs IBOC?

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser May 28th 06 08:50 AM

[...]

I'm not clear on what I'm wrong about. Doesn't FM also lose most of their
listeners, in absolute numbers (not percentage) during the night? What are
those numbers?

[...]

Agreed. Radio is pretty resilent. And there will always somebody who wants
to get on the air, even if there isn't big money in it anymore.

Frank Dresser