Old May 26th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm actually wondering how this is going to turn out.

Imagine two transmitters: WWRU-AM 1660 in Carlstadt, and WTTM 1680 out
of Cherry Hill.

One serves the New York metro, the other serves the Trenton metro.
They're currently running regular AM. In certain parts of New Jersey,
the signals overlap. Both are owned by MRBI (Multicultural Radio).

I just wonder by how much their night-time range will be decreased
should these co-owned stations fire up IBOC at night. Surely that's
going to be some real hissy territory and there's going to be some
really ****ed off analog listeners.

I remember other MRBI-owned stations in the NYC metro testing out IBOC
during the day - AM 1480 WZRC/New York and AM 93 WPAT/Paterson both
tried it. If I recall, it didn't last long. They're back to standard
analog-only AM.

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because
they were concerned about the loss of ulltra fringe coverage to the 540 they
own in the Milwaukee market. Since the 540 lives, apparently, from preaching
and teaching paid programs, every listener with a donation insures renewal
of the programs, so they were protecting a (rather tenuous) revenue stream.

At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the
sponsor will enhance donations. Preachers can even scroll chapter and verse
of Scripture! The mind boggles!

Old May 26th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil

David Eduardo wrote:

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because

From what I've read, Salem is holding off on implementing IBOC. They

want to sit back and see how it all develops before they jump into it,
so they say.

I still have my "La Tremenda 560" coffee mug. Got it shortly before
the station got sold off. You remeber the silly stuff that was being
sold by HBC through Coffee-Press? ^_^

--
steph

Old May 26th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
ps.com...

David Eduardo wrote:

When Salem bought WIND 560 from us., the turned HD off. this was because

From what I've read, Salem is holding off on implementing IBOC. They

want to sit back and see how it all develops before they jump into it,
so they say.

I still have my "La Tremenda 560" coffee mug. Got it shortly before
the station got sold off. You remeber the silly stuff that was being
sold by HBC through Coffee-Press? ^_^

Yeah, I remember. Not the most elegant creations...

Old May 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article ,
David Eduardo wrote:

At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the
sponsor will enhance donations. Preachers can even scroll chapter and verse
of Scripture! The mind boggles!

The sort of radio that audience (little old ladies on a pension) can
afford probably won't have that feature available. Some bitty little
plastic lump with a tiny display and buttons so small that they can't
be programmed by anybody over 9 years old.

Ergonomicly designed radios seem to be a high end niche.

Mark Zenier

Old May 26th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
At some point, religious stations will find that, as HD radios (hopefully)
arrive at the right price points, the texting ability will enhance the
programming. Constant scrolling of the mail address or web address of the

That's an interesting point. The text data seems far more robust than
the audio; I've received 'text IDs' from AM-IBOC stations 800 miles
away, while digital audio from an 18-mile-distant station is difficult.
Maybe AM-IBOC will prove useful as a text-broadcasting scheme?

It has certainly succeeded as a QRM scheme.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 26th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

[...]

A better plan of frequencies to use IBOC on needs to be implemented
than just having stations start turning it on across the band day or
night.

I think more people are going to be ****ed off about losing their long
distance reception than you think. Just because such listening does not
show up in the surveys and so has nothing to do with a stations revenue
stream does not mean that there can not be a listener lash back when
the general population can't hear stations other than local ones
evenings.

Because this change will affect many people and the equipment used at
some point there has to be a more orderly transition of some sort. This
is apparent from current night time interference complaints.

Like any new technology as the number of manufactured units goes up the
price will go down.

The text ability could be a new revenue stream. Might end up being used
for commercials.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 26th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own two Waterford Crystal coffee cups.(some other Waterford Crystal
thingys too) I never use them though,they just sit there on the shelf
and look pretty.
cuhulin

Old May 26th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I done told y'all before,,,, U.S.fed govt does not like it that we can
pick up real news on Shortwave Radio.We will see if I am right.
cuhulin

Old May 27th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Telamon,

The old Road Trip where you could may be travel 75 to 150 Miles
while 'listening' to the same AM Radio Station will be a thing of
the past with IBOC.

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

Every 35-50 Miles will require a the selection of a new AM Radio
Station and tuning in the locals as you go.

This jus tis not true, as listening to the HD stations in LA and San Diego
will prove.

. IBOC should
greatly benefit local AM Radio Stations and actually cut into the
Coverage Area of the old time 50KW Clear Channels due to all
the Adjacent Channel Noise that IBOC will generate across the
Band.

Since none of the clear channel stations (with all caps, it is a company,
not a class) really cares about covedring much else than the local metro
area and immediate fringe area, this will not affect anyone. Probably 95% of
the revenue of these, and all AMs, is generated in the daylight hours and
inside the primary groundwave contour.