Old June 6th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
AEZAEL

Default Beware of Crane Radio

I bought a Sangean ATS909 from them and stored it after trying it out,
after 9 months I put a full set of batteries in it and it would not
work at all. Sent it back to Crane and was charged $ 37.00 and I
was sent a different radio, ( I know because I had marked the case
slightly} I tested it again and every thing worked fine.
After 1 year I again tried the radio with new batteries and guess
what ? the radio did not work properly, the sound was very distorted
and when I talked to the people at Crane I was told it would cost at
least $ 89.00 for a new speaker this for a radio that cost #289.00.
I checked the radio out with earphones and the sound was fine
so I am hedging my bets and packing the radio with a good set of
headphones.
Old June 7th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Yes Crane is a fine outfit. YOU'D better re-read the items in your
link. Sure someone complains about the CC Radio - a SANGEAN product -
so do I - but NO ONE complains about C. Crane as a company. C. Crane
doesn't manufacture that radio. They did help design it, but Sangean's
poor execution is not really Crane's fault.

Best,

Joe

wrote:

Crane is a fine outfit ? Check out the comments:

http://www.radiointel.com/results2.htm

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Dear GP,

Having dealt with the C. Crane Company for many years, I can state that
they are a fine outfit with which to deal (though sometimes their
prices are a bit on the high side). They do stand behind that which
they sell, at least during the warranty period, and, though I've never
had to do so, I understand returns are no problem if you happen to be
dissatisfied with something you purchase from them.

However, I cannot say the same for Sangean. Having personally owned
three of their products (ATS-808A, ATS-606AP, and CC Radio) and having
been dissatisfied with all three ('808A died after just three years,
'606AP was on its last legs when I packed it up and put it down in my
crawl space, and the CC Radio's controls - especially the memory
buttons - do not always work properly, plus that radio "ain't all it's
cracked up to be" performance-wise), I will not buy any more Sangeans
until and unless I read that they have greatly improved their
quality-control and that their longevity has greatly improved also.

If you want a good small portable SW radio, consider the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR. I believe this to be the best small portable SW radio
ever designed. I own five of them and two of the predecessor model the
ICF-SW7600G. All are built with a great deal of integrity and all still
function as they did when they were new. (And all perform identically -
a sign of superior quality-control.) I believe you would be pleased
with this receiver.) While C. Crane does not sell it, you can buy it
from AES, Universal, or, less expensively, from J&R Music World or
Amazon.com.

Best,

Joe

GP wrote:
Is this a problem because it was from Crane, or is there a reliablity
problem with Sangean products?...I was planning to buy the 909 but I am
beginning to wonder if there might be QC issues with this radio...I
would sure hate to spend $300 on a product that dies after a year...

Old June 7th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

I can't say anything good about ccrane
I had one of their top battery chargers and it melted and almost burned down
my house and when I emailed to tell them all they did was offer to sell me a
new one at full price
no concern over the safety issue involved.

I will never buy from them again

Old June 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Most of them thrift store radios (especially them off the wall brand
name radios) are A OK.
cuhulin

Old June 7th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:40:28 -0700, "mike maghakian"
wrote:

I can't say anything good about ccrane
I had one of their top battery chargers and it melted and almost burned down
my house and when I emailed to tell them all they did was offer to sell me a
new one at full price
no concern over the safety issue involved.

I will never buy from them again

When the display went bad in my original AM-FM CCRadio (out of
warranty, made by Sangean), the store paid one way shipping and fixed
the display for $25. I still buy from them.

The CCrane store doesn't manufacture the Sangean radios, but will fix
them for what appears to be the going shop rate. If your radio keeps
crashing, get another brand, for pete's sake,

bob
k5qwg

Old June 7th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
aezael

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:35:28 -0500, James Douglas
wrote:

AEZAEL wrote:
I bought a Sangean ATS909 from them and stored it after trying it out,
after 9 months I put a full set of batteries in it and it would not
work at all. Sent it back to Crane and was charged $ 37.00 and I
was sent a different radio, ( I know because I had marked the case
slightly} I tested it again and every thing worked fine.
After 1 year I again tried the radio with new batteries and guess
what ? the radio did not work properly, the sound was very distorted
and when I talked to the people at Crane I was told it would cost at
least $ 89.00 for a new speaker this for a radio that cost #289.00.
I checked the radio out with earphones and the sound was fine
so I am hedging my bets and packing the radio with a good set of
headphones.

Sounds strange to me, buy something try it, put it away for a year
and try again and bitches that it does not work? Crane Radio does
not make the Sangean ATS909 they are only the seller? What am I
missing here?

I am aezael and to clarify the problem, I bought the radio for a
special use, IE in case of emergencies. After I checked out the unit
I stored it without batteries in a aluminum case along with other
supplies and a solar battery charger.
I usually remove all outdated supplies once a year and for your
information I also have one of the cheap short wave radios that
use solar,batteries and a crank generator and that one works
fine.