Old June 7th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Armed Forces Radio Revolution - Chages at the American Forces Network (or AFN) and American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS)

Stephanie Weil wrote:
RHF wrote:

June 5, 2006: Since World War II, the U.S. Armed Forces Radio (AFR) has
broadcast to the troops, no matter where they are. But declining
ratings, caused by iPods and changing tastes, has resulted in massive
changes in what will be heard.

The damned I-Pods sound better than AFRTS's product. At least the
Korean AFN-Korea stations!!!

The AFRTS station in Anjong-Ri (Camp Humphries) on 1440 AM sounds all
overmodulated. It's still listenable on better-quality radios, but
only just.

The FM station on 88.3 is worse - it sounds like a buzz-saw. And no,
it's got nothing to do with the hard-rock that they play.

Who the hell can listen to that tripe for a prolonged period of time.
It hurts the skull.

Also gone is most of the talk radio (NPR, as well as more conservative
shows). Talk just never caught on big with the troops, and many were
turned off by the strident anti-war attitudes found on many NPR shows.

The last thing you want to hear after a long day of shooting at
unknown people is some loud-mouth back home sitting in his
air-conditioned studio and talking bull through a tin-horn.

You clearly don't listen to NPR. Not only is it fair and balanced, but
they treat the war dead with respect.

The AFN shortwave sounds very good. As I've mentioned before, the
sideband sounds to me like it is wider than your run of the mill
communication sideband. I generally use a 4Khz filter on AFN.

Varied music, with periodic HONEST news updates and balanced commentary
is the best way to go, in my opinion. Of course, don't neglect the
sports events.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Uninterrupted Voice Channel
that's broadcast on SSB Shortwave. Figures that as soon as I
contemplate a portable SSB radio, they'll probably take it off the air.

Old June 7th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Armed Forces Radio Revolution - Chages at the AmericanForc...

I wouldn't have an iPod even if you gave me one for free.I just dont
like them stupid lookin iPod C... Suckers!
cuhulin

Old June 7th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Miso,

"and many were turned off by the strident anti-war
attitudes found on many NPR shows."
- - - This Is Not My Opinion - - -
And I do in-fact Listen to NPR and think for the most
part that it is reasonably balanced.

Here is My Opinion - Often NPR comes across as
being Tilted to the Left. Frequently as I Listen to an
NPR Program the Guest Panel would have three
members - two liberals and one moderate -vice- a
more Balance Panel of a Liberal + a Moderate +
a Conservative. {my opinion ~ RHF}

Think About the Military Service Member
the Target Listener of AFN and AFRTS :
I can see that anyone in the Military who is out-there
actually fighting the War-on-Terror would be sensitive
to anything 'anti-war' and thus anything that was 'anti'
whatever they were personally doing.

Reporting-the-Facts :
What the reporter wrote -one assumes- is what he
heard from Members of the Military In-Country who
'feel' NPR has more positive Anti-War Air Time then
it has Pro-War-on-Terror Air Time. NPR via AFN
and AFRTS should Speak-to-the-Troops and not
Lecture them about the In-Justice of their Service
and the Wrongness of their Fight in the War-on-Terror.

The Role of VOA is "NOT" to be a Propaganda Tool of
the US Government to the American People -but- To Get
America's Message Out to the Peoples of the World .

The Role of AFN & AFTRS "IS" to be a Propaganda Tool
of the US Government to the American Military Services
and to help Maintain and Improve Troop Moral and the
Fighting Readiness of the American Military.

so say i - my opinions stated as facts ~ RHF
Old June 7th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Armed Forces Radio Revolution - Changes at the AmericanFor...

They never asked me,in Vietnam,what I thought.I probally would have gave
them a dumb look anyway and said something like,Huh!,I dont know,I am
just here.
cuhulin

Old June 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I need to go to my bathroom.My new snail mail issue of Popular Mechanics
magazine for July 2006 showed up in my snail mail box by the side of the
road this morning.
cuhulin