Old June 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

Default Radio call letters: What do they mean?

"sd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Buzzygirl" wrote:

WCCO, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (830 KHz). W-C-CO stands for

Washburn Crosby
Co.,
a milling company that eventually became the food giant, General

Mills.

and KSTP-AM, -FM, and -TV, all based in STPaul, Minnesota;
KDIZ 1440, Radio Disney;
KBEM 88.5, Board of Education, Minneapolis (run by the school
district);
KMOJ 89.9, "MOJo", Soul, blues, gospel, reggae, jazz;
KNOW 91.1, Minnesota Public Radio's news/talk station;
WLTE 102.9, LiTE rock;
KZJK 104.1, another "Jack" format station;
KQQL, 107.9, "Cool 108"

A few I remember from living on Long Island:
WALK-AM & -FM, "Why run all over the dial? Walk for the best ...";
WYFA 1570, "Where Your Friends Are" (modified quietly after the
station was sold to "Where Are Your Friends?");
WBAB, BABylon, New York;
WUSB, University at Stony Brook (part of the NY State University
system);
and the "LI"s: WLIM, WLIR, WLIX, etc., (Long Island)

I used to hear from my wife that WQMF-FM in Louisville
used to stand for "Queer M----- F-----".

--Mike L.

Old June 19th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I remember when I was in the U.S.Army at Scott Air Force Base,Illinois
and SL 60 near Pacific,Missouri (it's the greater,greater big wide
St.Louis metro area,folks) KXOKKKKKKKKKK (KXOK) in
St.Louisssssssssssss,,,,,,,,
and,Are you a KWK Good Guy? and WHAS in Louisville,Kentucky.Back in
those days,you just had to listen to the real good radio music stations.

KMOX,The Voice of St.Louis.KMOX isn't a music station,but I used to
listen to Jim White (You Can't Fix Stupid!,and Jim White is right) on
KMOX.
cuhulin