Old June 22nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kim

Default antenna switch?

Pictures-article to make your own-

http:/www.dxing.info/equipment/rolling_your_own_bryant.dx

Kim

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
. ..
$20, eh?

A ferrite toroid, some magnet wire, 3 connectors and a box..

W4OP

Old June 22nd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like to
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

http://www.stridsberg.com/mca104a.htm
Stridsberg is the consumer grade gear most scanner enthusiasts use.

That's an active splitter for $185. Probably a good unit. I think DxAce
uses one.

Yep, Stridsberg is the one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

If you are going to use a splitter, you might as well go active. In
either case (active or passive), you are going to get a bit more noise,
but the active design should have better isolation.

Old June 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default "Combo" Antenna Splitter and {Active} Pre-Amplifier - When You Want To Use One Antenna With Two Receivers

wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like to
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

http://www.stridsberg.com/mca104a.htm
Stridsberg is the consumer grade gear most scanner enthusiasts use.

That's an active splitter for $185. Probably a good unit. I think DxAce
uses one.

Yep, Stridsberg is the one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

- If you are going to use a splitter, you might as well go active.
- In either case (active or passive), you are going to get a bit
- more noise, but the active design should have better isolation.

For a "Combo" Antenna Splitter and {Active} Pre-Amplifier
when you want to use One Antenna with Two Receivers :
Then consider a Shortwave Receiver Antenna Tuner /
Pre-Amplifier that has a built-in Antenna Switch for
use with Two Radios and Two Antennas. The MFJ-959
Pre-Amplifier and Antenna Tuner comes to mind.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...amps/2574.html

READ - One Antenna and Two Radios = One Antenna Switch ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...3d96b7a4b7af4b

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Old June 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2
SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd
like to
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

http://www.stridsberg.com/mca104a.htm
Stridsberg is the consumer grade gear most scanner enthusiasts use.

That's an active splitter for $185. Probably a good unit. I think DxAce
uses one.

Yep, Stridsberg is the one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

- If you are going to use a splitter, you might as well go active.
- In either case (active or passive), you are going to get a bit
- more noise, but the active design should have better isolation.

Snip

More money, more complicated but the amplification can mitigate loss of
signal and provide more isolation between outputs.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .
I looked around and nobody seems to make one.
Sure they do! They are called splitters or multicouplers.

I didn't see any inexpensive ones made for HF. Plenty of them at higher
frequencies or amplified units so who makes a simple unit for HF that is
a transformer or resistive coupled

Stridsberg, or ICE makes the couplers. Your choice of connector may
require mod, or adaptor.

http://www.stridsberg.com/prod01.htm

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reco...ceive%20Signal

Well when someone says "Splitter" I think of a simple transformer or
resistive unit. The stridsberg are powered, amplified units. Amplified
units are better then the simple splitters unless you have signal power
to spare.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 22nd 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

How so? I'm interested . . .

"Telamon" wrote in message
Easier to make one than to buy one.

You can put three resistors 16.7 ohms each together in a metal box with
three connectors or you could use a mini circuits transformer instead of
the resistors. In dBm the transformer would have the outputs about -3.5
dBm and the resistor version would be -6 dBm.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

[...]

Each company makes both active and passive models. They're listed on
the same page each.

In fact, the Stridsberg passives actually use something similar to
the Mini Circuits transformers, if not the Mini Circuits transformers
themselves.

For a two port installation, passive will usually get you there. More
than that, and you're talking about a significant loss in level.

For as many receivers as I have, I use the actives. And I have units
from both companies.

Practically, there is little difference between them beyond the roll
off points.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
"gravity" wrote:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps.html

i can't vouch for the quality.

RF systems SP-1 looks like it but it's $99.95. I guess that's not
unreasonable but seems a little high.

I could build one for $20. Mini circuits have small transformers and you
would need to buy a metal box and three PL-259 connectors.

$20, eh?

Well maybe a little more.

Mini circuits

This has package leads PSCJ-2-1 1 to 200 MHz for $25.95

This is surface mount but you can solder wires to it like the one above
SBTCJ-1W 1 to 750 MHz for $10.95

Radio Shack

SO-239 $3.29
Aluminum box 270-238 $2.99

So $23.81 with the surface mount unit.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article OqAmg.1$il.0@trnddc03,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
. ..
$20, eh?

A ferrite toroid, some magnet wire, 3 connectors and a box..

W4OP

Yes, winding your own toroid would be cheaper than buying a mini
circuits transformer.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like to
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

Try:http://www.dxing.info/equipment/rolling_your_own_bryant.dx

He links to tests he made of three commercial units.
I use the Mini Circuits ZFSC-2-1, they use BNC connectors which is what

all of my SW radios use. Adaptors can be found at your local Radio
Shack.

I have built 2 of the units he discribes for friends and they work very
well.

You may, or may not, be interested in digging through pasts posts by me

where I gave the real world results of using passive or non-amplifed
"splitters".

The slightly over 3dB of loss is trivial for most locations. I tried
many A/B tests,
with several different SW receivers, [R2000, R390, R392, R5000 DX398
and a
AOR7030] in several locations [at home, in the woods, by Cumberland
lake
and on top of a "mountain" flatened by strip mining]. The quiter the
location the
more difference ~3dB made, but I never found anywhere where it was the
deciding factor and could not find a signal that was "hearable" direct
and gone
through the splitter.

Terry

Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM