Old June 23rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Default antenna switch?

Ok, I'm no longer interested! : } Seriously, I have no skills such that
this requires. I'd rather just purchase one already made.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

How so? I'm interested . . .

"Telamon" wrote in message

Easier to make one than to buy one.

You can put three resistors 16.7 ohms each together in a metal box with
three connectors or you could use a mini circuits transformer instead of
the resistors. In dBm the transformer would have the outputs about -3.5
dBm and the resistor version would be -6 dBm.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 23rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

I wound up ordering one from arraysolutions.com, the "ICE Model 111-2A ICE
111-2A Passive HF 0.5-30MHZ 2 outputs" for $26; not bad!

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
news
I'm using an Eavesdropper "C" antenna, if that helps. I'll look into your
recommendation - thank you!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd

like
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

What you really want is a multicoupler.
http://www.macom.com/sigint/PDF/410.pdf
This would do nicely. ;-)

I think if you have an amplified antenna (wellbrook for instance), a
simple passive splitter is passable for much of what you monitor. Of
course, if the signal is weak, the splitter will add noise. For
instance, I couldn't see using one for say AFN.

Old June 23rd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:38:03 GMT, "Lisa Simpson"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like to
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

Perhaps you want a small distribution amplifier?

bob
k5qwg

Old June 23rd 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

I wound up ordering one from arraysolutions.com, the "ICE Model 111-2A ICE
111-2A Passive HF 0.5-30MHZ 2 outputs" for $26; not bad!

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
news
I'm using an Eavesdropper "C" antenna, if that helps. I'll look into your
recommendation - thank you!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd

like
be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

What you really want is a multicoupler.
http://www.macom.com/sigint/PDF/410.pdf
This would do nicely. ;-)

I think if you have an amplified antenna (wellbrook for instance), a
simple passive splitter is passable for much of what you monitor. Of
course, if the signal is weak, the splitter will add noise. For
instance, I couldn't see using one for say AFN.

Yeah, that is a cheap price.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 23rd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:45:01 GMT, "Lisa Simpson"
wrote:

I might if I knew what is was & how I would benefit from owning it!

.. .
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like

be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

Perhaps you want a small distribution amplifier?

bob
k5qwg

My main familiarity was in using one to feed a single audio tape to 16
different radio stations, simultaneously, over the phone lines. One
input, 16 outputs; they're made in all sorts of configurations. If you
Google "distribution amplifier" you might find something that would
work for feeding two radios; then again, I don't really know... :-)

The mfj-4706 coax patch panel also looks interesting, tho' I don't
know if you can receive to both radios at the same time.

bob
k5qwg

Old June 23rd 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I might if I knew what is was & how I would benefit from owning it!

.. .
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me to hook up 2 SW
receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch is not what I mean, as I'd like

be able to receive on both receivers at the same time . . .

Perhaps you want a small distribution amplifier?

bob
k5qwg

My main familiarity was in using one to feed a single audio tape to 16
different radio stations, simultaneously, over the phone lines. One
input, 16 outputs; they're made in all sorts of configurations. If you
Google "distribution amplifier" you might find something that would
work for feeding two radios; then again, I don't really know... :-)

The mfj-4706 coax patch panel also looks interesting, tho' I don't
know if you can receive to both radios at the same time.

bob
k5qwg

RF patch bays show up once in a while at flea markets. This assumes all
you want is a switch and not a multicoupler. If you buy one, get the
jumpers at the same time as they are all a little different. In fact,
you should ohm out the path, i.e. jumper and patch bay.

Another item you see once in a while at the flea market is the hp59307.
About $20. I never measure the response of the switch, but I can't
belive it wouldn't work well for HF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-HP-59307A-VHF-Switch_W0QQitemZ7523913977QQcategoryZ25400QQcmdZVi ewItem

Old June 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default "Combo" Antenna Splitter and {Active} Pre-Amplifier - When You Want To Use One Antenna With Two Receivers

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Can anyone recommend an antenna switch that allows me
to hook up 2 SW receivers to 1 antenna? Maybe a switch
is not what I mean, as I'd like to be able to receive
on both receivers at the same time . . .

http://www.stridsberg.com/mca104a.htm
Stridsberg is the consumer grade gear most scanner enthusiasts
use.

That's an active splitter for $185. Probably a good unit. I
think DxAce uses one.

Yep, Stridsberg is the one.

- If you are going to use a splitter, you might as well go active.
- In either case (active or passive), you are going to get a bit
- more noise, but the active design should have better isolation.

Snip

More money, more complicated but the amplification can mitigate loss of
signal and provide more isolation between outputs.

Telamon - true, True. TRUE ! ) ~ RHF

However - Some Shortwave Listeners (SWL's) like to
have that Extra Box with All-the-Knobs on it to play with
so that 'they' can "Feel" that 'they' are in CONTROL !

Then Again - Other Shortwave Listeners (SWL's) are
very Happy with a 9:1 Matching Transformer at the
Antenna and a Coax Cable feed-in-line : For the very
fact that 'they' can Install-It-and-Forget-It - Happy to
simply Enjoy Listening to Their-Radios without the
need for any "Extra Knobs" to Play-With.
{ Please Don't Make It Complicated ! }

Since - I am down in Oakland, CA for the Night - I told
a look around sub-basement # 3 and found an old
Grove TUN-4 that is very much like the MFJ-959 unit.

Looks like a good unit. It has an amplifier that you can bypass with a
switch, has an antenna selector switch and a tuner to peak a signal.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article vWTmg.2116$Xn.1378@trnddc05,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

The one other thing I would mention, why not a "T" coax connector,
with high quality jumpers going to each receiver? I doubt you'd lose
much signal, if any, with that setup.

See my earlier post on problems with this approach.

You mentioned interaction between the radios because there is no
isolation with a "T" connector. There would also be a 2:1 mismatch.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 24th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

The one other thing I would mention, why not a "T" coax connector,
with high quality jumpers going to each receiver? I doubt you'd lose
much signal, if any, with that setup.

See my earlier post on problems with this approach.

You mentioned interaction between the radios because there is no
isolation with a "T" connector. There would also be a 2:1 mismatch.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Correct. In addition, the actual signal delivered to one receiver could well
depend on what freq the otehr receiver is tuned to. The degree would depend
on how each receiver's front end is tuned If it is a tracing band pass
filter, the results could be very very odd.
If one receiver is a regen...well, that's a nightmare.
Dale W4OP

Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM