Old June 25th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default number stations/pirate stations heard near Binghamton NY

Hi,

I just started short-wave listening and I have a couple of beginner
questions.

I live near Binghamton NY, and I'd like to listen to numbers stations
and pirate stations.

My questions a

1. Are there websites with up-to-date schedules for numbers stations
and/or pirate stations?
2. Are there any stations that can be heard from the Binghamton NY
area?

I know both numbers and pirate stations are a little secretive, so it
seems unlikely that either of these would have known schedules.

I found quite a few web pages with broken links to pirate radio station
pages, and I found a few that were still (apparently) operative, but
they were broadcasting from California on frequencies that seem likely
to be overpowered by closer stations.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

David

Old June 25th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have several pirates I've gotten to know over the years that send me
schedules or times they will TX. The best place for pirate stuff is
http://www.frn.net/ A lot of N american pirates hang out there and anything
heard is constantly being posted there. Theres lots of good sites for
Numbers info. Just google.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Remove your HAT to reply directly

Old June 25th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

In article . com,
" wrote:

[...]

Here's a schedule of a popular numbers station in the UK called
Lincolnshire Poacher, after the tune played at the beginning of each
broadcast: I have often picked it up at my W. Central Fla. location
prior to 1200 UTC:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page14.html

Also, there is a recent report on this newsgroup about a pirate station
on 6950 a.m. from 3:00 to 3:15 UTC this morning. 6925 and 6875 are also
popular freq's for pirate stations.

Happy monitoring,

Greg
Old June 25th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

1. Are there websites with up-to-date schedules for numbers stations
and/or pirate stations?

i think restricting to your search to clandestine communications might work.
there are whole books written on "secret" things.

2. Are there any stations that can be heard from the Binghamton NY
area?

certainly. i've heard numbers stations in Tennessee and Japan.

I know both numbers and pirate stations are a little secretive, so it
seems unlikely that either of these would have known schedules.

they operate in certain bands. theoretically you could record a big chunk
of each band, run it through spectral analysis software, and find stations.
the numbers stations are doing stuff like "1 2 3 4", which is highly
repetitive.

I found quite a few web pages with broken links to pirate radio station
pages, and I found a few that were still (apparently) operative, but
they were broadcasting from California on frequencies that seem likely
to be overpowered by closer stations.

superstation yacht pirates are mostly gone? there should be some landbased
stations.

Spookish Gravity

Old June 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Greg wrote:

In article . com,
" wrote:

[...]

How much prior to 1200?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

In article ,
Greg wrote:

In article . com,
" wrote:

[...]

I meant I pick them up prior to the 1400 UTC broadcast.

Old June 25th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

I know both numbers and pirate stations are a little secretive, so it
seems unlikely that either of these would have known schedules.

you'd be surprised, as pirates want an audience, and numbers signals need to
be found by agents. these are easy to find compared to covert channels e.g.
spread spectrum.

Gravity

Old June 27th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Greg wrote:

[...]