Old July 2nd 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default yaesu vr-500 troubleshoot

Hi all,

I recently bought a yaesu vr-500. Yesterday I had to change the
batteries and, from that moment, the radio only makes a repeated sound
"blop" while it flashes the low battery sign. The radio doesn't respond
to any button pressed. It just keeps repeating the sound and blinking
the low battery sign. I am sure the batteries new batteries are good (I
already tried several new ones).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Rui V.

Old July 2nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"rui_v" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I recently bought a yaesu vr-500. Yesterday I had to change the
batteries and, from that moment, the radio only makes a repeated sound
"blop" while it flashes the low battery sign. The radio doesn't respond
to any button pressed. It just keeps repeating the sound and blinking
the low battery sign. I am sure the batteries new batteries are good (I
already tried several new ones).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Rui V.

Are any of the batteries in backwards ? k35454.

Old July 2nd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

k35454 wrote:
"rui_v" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I recently bought a yaesu vr-500. Yesterday I had to change the
batteries and, from that moment, the radio only makes a repeated sound
"blop" while it flashes the low battery sign. The radio doesn't respond
to any button pressed. It just keeps repeating the sound and blinking
the low battery sign. I am sure the batteries new batteries are good (I
already tried several new ones).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Rui V.

Are any of the batteries in backwards ? k35454.

The radio may need to be reset. I had this happen with my R-10 a
couple of times.

Old July 3rd 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

k35454 wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
rui_v wrote:
The reset procedure implies pushing some buttons.
The radio does not response to any button

Rui V.

I found the Yaesu VR 500 Manual on line. To reset the system,

1) Turn the radio OFF.

2) Press and hold the [FUNCTION] and [MONI(LOCK)] keys while turning
the radio ON.

3) Press [1(MEMO)] key.

4) Press [ENT(SET)] to reset all settings to their factory defaults.

That should return you to functionality.

Is there any possibility that, when the original "low battery" signal
came on, the batteries were OK but the radio needed to be
reset ? k35454.

That was my thinking.

Old July 3rd 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rui_v wrote:
The reset procedure implies pushing some buttons.
The radio does not response to any button

Rui V.

I found the Yaesu VR 500 Manual on line. To reset the system,

1) Turn the radio OFF.

2) Press and hold the [FUNCTION] and [MONI(LOCK)] keys while turning
the radio ON.

3) Press [1(MEMO)] key.

4) Press [ENT(SET)] to reset all settings to their factory defaults.

That should return you to functionality.

Is there any possibility that, when the original "low battery"

signal
came on, the batteries were OK but the radio needed to be
reset ? k35454.

That was my thinking.

Then you, too, are brilliant. k35454.

Old July 3rd 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rui_v wrote:
The reset procedure implies pushing some buttons.
The radio does not response to any button

Rui V.

I found the Yaesu VR 500 Manual on line. To reset the system,

1) Turn the radio OFF.

2) Press and hold the [FUNCTION] and [MONI(LOCK)] keys while turning
the radio ON.

3) Press [1(MEMO)] key.

4) Press [ENT(SET)] to reset all settings to their factory defaults.

That should return you to functionality.

Is there any possibility that, when the original "low battery"

signal
came on, the batteries were OK but the radio needed to be
reset ? k35454.

That was my thinking.

Then you, too, are brilliant. k35454.

LOL! I've been called a lot of things....but that's rarely been
one of them.

Old July 3rd 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Unfortunately, the when I insert the batteries the radio does not
"respond" to ANY button. Not even the power button. When the batteries
are inserted it starts immediately to produce that repeated sound and

Old July 3rd 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rui_v wrote:
Unfortunately, the when I insert the batteries the radio does not
"respond" to ANY button. Not even the power button. When the batteries
are inserted it starts immediately to produce that repeated sound and
blinking the low battery sign.

Rui V.

Ok....did you leave the batteries out overnight? Start with that.

Old July 3rd 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I did that. No batteries overnight. No result.

I also inspected the radio trying to find a reset button...nothing.
Maybe it's inside it, but I wouldn't like to open because of the
warranty (and also because I am not sure there is a reset button
inside).

So, still lost

But thanking for your trying to help. I do need ideas...

Rui V.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rui_v wrote:
I did that. No batteries overnight. No result.

I also inspected the radio trying to find a reset button...nothing.
Maybe it's inside it, but I wouldn't like to open because of the
warranty (and also because I am not sure there is a reset button
inside).

So, still lost

But thanking for your trying to help. I do need ideas...

Even though your batteries are presumably new, did you test them
(preferably with a tester that puts them under load)? There is a small
chance one of the cells is defective. A long shot, but after testing
them, you will have at least eliminated a possibility.