Old July 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Wellbrook ALA 100 with Rotator - Construction Details

Those with an interest in building a Wellbrook ALA 100 setup for use on an
antenna rotator may want to check out my most recent blog entry (July 22nd).
I have pictures and construction details that describe the way I approached
the project.

I believe the ALA 100 is the most flexible and useful Wellbrook model for
the do-it-yourselfer. You can construct the loop in whatever manner suits
your abilities and requirements.

My use of the ALA 100 is primarily for DXing foreign medium wave signals,
with a secondary use of hearing third-world broadcasters on the tropical
bands. I've heard of some amateur radio operators using Wellbrook antennas
for a receive-only solution, too.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
blog: www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

Old July 23rd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

Guy Atkins wrote:
Those with an interest in building a Wellbrook ALA 100 setup for use on an
antenna rotator may want to check out my most recent blog entry (July 22nd).
I have pictures and construction details that describe the way I approached
the project.

I believe the ALA 100 is the most flexible and useful Wellbrook model for
the do-it-yourselfer. You can construct the loop in whatever manner suits
your abilities and requirements.

My use of the ALA 100 is primarily for DXing foreign medium wave signals,
with a secondary use of hearing third-world broadcasters on the tropical
bands. I've heard of some amateur radio operators using Wellbrook antennas
for a receive-only solution, too.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
blog: www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

Ah, so your loops are concentric. I ran my parallel. Did you discuss
this with Andy?

Old July 23rd 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

I did mention the spiral configuration to him, but he didn't comment on it.
The construction seemed to be easier, so it's the only style I considered
from the start.

Guy

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

GA,

Nice design and execution of the Wellbrook ALA 100 Loop Antenna
as a portable and point-able (rotate) Antenna.

A Close-Up Look : The Wellbrook ALA 100 Antenna with Rotor
http://www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com/
The most flexible Wellbrook Antenna for the Radio Antenna Experimenter.

~ RHF
Old July 23rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Guy Atkins" wrote:

I did mention the spiral configuration to him, but he didn't comment on it.
The construction seemed to be easier, so it's the only style I considered
from the start.

Guy

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ah, so your loops are concentric. I ran my parallel. Did you discuss
this with Andy?

Spiral concentric or coil will change the pattern but since the antenna
is so electrically small it won't make much difference unless you want
to use the nulls. I would expect that a coil wound would be best. I you
are concerned about using a null in the antenna pattern then go one turn.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California