Old September 26th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Proposal 3 (US Hams)

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Old September 26th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
gkb gkb is offline

10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

--
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Old September 26th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

gkb wrote:
10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

Well, this doesn't seem very relevant for folks here in
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors. We think the requirements
should include being able to bench press a Collins R-390
and being tested on changing coupling capacitors with the
B+ live.

Other folks may consider other tests, for example testing
someone for the ability to hold down the key for ten minutes
straight while shouting "This is my channel, you don't own
this frequency" over and over again. This is a skill that
is becoming increasingly popular.
--scott

Old September 26th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default blow code blows it again

blow code blows it again

Old September 26th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:41:53 UTC, "gkb" wrote:

10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Old September 26th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 9/26/06 2:50 PM, in article g40vCXBzNU8x-pn2-xidDCXv10dGz@localhost,
"Count Floyd" CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:41:53 UTC, "gkb" wrote:

10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

If there is ever a serious emergency, including no commercial
communications, guys like you who can't build a simple transmitter and
companion receiver, and can't do code, will be the first to scream for help.

What makes you think people are abandoning ham radio? I don't see that at
all, but I do see a reduction in new hams. But...... What goes around will
come around. Ham radio will grow again if the ARRL will quit mucking it up
with their friggin yuppy, elitist attitude.

Don

Old September 26th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:02:15 UTC, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 9/26/06 2:50 PM, in article g40vCXBzNU8x-pn2-xidDCXv10dGz@localhost,
"Count Floyd" CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:41:53 UTC, "gkb" wrote:

10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

If there is ever a serious emergency, including no commercial
communications, guys like you who can't build a simple transmitter and
companion receiver, and can't do code, will be the first to scream for help.

Where did you get the part that I cannot build a radio? I simply said
that I do not use code anymore! I have built many radios, repaired
them and use them to this day! This attitude is typical of
old-timers, and I am 54 myself! How may radios have you built pal?

What makes you think people are abandoning ham radio? I don't see
that at
all, but I do see a reduction in new hams. But...... What goes around will
come around. Ham radio will grow again if the ARRL will quit mucking it up
with their friggin yuppy, elitist attitude.

I agree with you on the ARRL! They are the ones who constantly keep
pushing for "code" requirements to be raised! Check the figures on
hams around the country. At a recent South Florida hamfest, it seemed
that I was the youngest guy there!
Don

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 26th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Count Floyd CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:
Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

Well, if that's the case, why not test them on use of the new innovations?

How about making them demonstrate competence operating five different
modes of their choice? They can choose between HF SSB, VHF/UHF FM, CW,
SSTV, fax, RTTY, packet, what have you. That way folks who want to learn
code and might use code have an advantage, but folks who can type 130 wpm
also have an advantage...
--scott

Old September 27th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Count Floyd" CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote in

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:41:53 UTC, "gkb" wrote:

10 wpm novice, 20 wpm general and 35 wpm for extra class.

Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

Dumbing it down cheapened the license, making being a radio amateur
nothing special. No wonder they leaving.

SC
Old September 27th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:46:20 UTC, (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

Count Floyd CountFloyd@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater wrote:
Yes, that's the ticket, back to the past. As if enough people weren't
abandoning ham radio already. I have never thought that code was
essential. It is just another "hoop" that someone has to jump
through. Once I passed the code test, I never used it again. Get
real, this is 2006, and with all the innovations on the radio
spectrum, code is the last thing on people's minds.

Well, if that's the case, why not test them on use of the new innovations?

How about making them demonstrate competence operating five different
modes of their choice? They can choose between HF SSB, VHF/UHF FM, CW,
SSTV, fax, RTTY, packet, what have you. That way folks who want to learn
code and might use code have an advantage, but folks who can type 130 wpm
also have an advantage...
--scott

Scott,
I agree with you! It is organizations like ARRL who continue to
insist on Code! Keep up with the times and test over what is current
and actually being used. I have a restored 1940 Chrysler but I also
have a 2005 PT Cruiser with A/C and all the options. I enjoy the
1940, but I would not take it on a cross-country trip.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Proposal 3 (US Hams) Slow Code Policy 33 October 4th 06 04:22 AM
Proposal 4 (US Hams) Slow Code Boatanchors 1 September 26th 06 02:35 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1412 ­ September 3, 2004 Radionews CB 0 September 4th 04 08:37 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM