Old October 29th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Question for the group. Mainly new hams.

Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote in

I would bet that the person flashing SOS knows little, or no morse
code other than SOS.

This, as an argument for hams using CW, is kind of like "mayday" being
an argument for hams being conversant in French.

-Chuck

Spoken like a true "I-Hate-CW" Whiner. Why you even worried about it
anyway, you don't even have a welfare license.

Actually, I have held an advanced class ticket for more than 30 years.

I took my test at 1919 M Street, NW? Washington, DC. Under the watchful
eye of an FCC examiner. My code test came off of an old signal corps
paper tape driven code practice machine. The key they gave me to use
was from the same set.

My receiving speed was somewhere around 40wpm, and my sending sucks
rope. I never could master an Iambic keyer.

-Chuck

Once you master the electronic key you'll wonder how you ever got by
without one. I used a straight key for years and then got an electronic
one. It made code more fun. I tried a bug once, but after using the
electronic key I lost my timing on the side to side stuff.

One thing for sure in the maritime story above, someone did know morse,
and the rescuers probably weren't going to wait for a full message after
the sos. they would start the rescue right away, they didn't need to see a
message.

SC
Old October 29th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Once you master the electronic key you'll wonder how you ever got by
without one. I used a straight key for years and then got an electronic
one. It made code more fun. I tried a bug once, but after using the
electronic key I lost my timing on the side to side stuff.

meaning you can't use CW MANUALY and you demand of me

Old October 29th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

an_old_friend

I'm very tired of your whining. No-one is demanding anything of you except to
stop whining. If you can't copy CW then give it up!

an_old_friend wrote:

Slow Code wrote:

Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Old October 30th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

"Markie in the Darkie" wrote in
oups.com:

Slow Code wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Once you master the electronic key you'll wonder how you ever got by
without one. I used a straight key for years and then got an
electronic one. It made code more fun. I tried a bug once, but after
using the electronic key I lost my timing on the side to side stuff.

meaning you can't use CW MANUALY and you demand of me

Markie you blithering idiot. You're against being a knowledgable ham so
bad you have no clue what I was even talking about.

SC

Old November 2nd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

In article k.net,
says...
Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

Big Ten-Four on that Good Buddy.
It sounds like you run a lot of 11m, not surprising considering how
much you whine, and it's not alternator whine.

I only typed like because I knew you would understand that style of
communicating. So, after your license came in the mail what I
appliance did you decide to buy? MFJ? Alinco? Cobra?

While you are being all holier than thou, what did you design and build
for your main rig? I'm hoping to be impressed, but expecting to be
disappointed.

Did the code help you with the design?

I took my Advanced class test down at 1919 M street 36 years ago. I had
to sit at the desk and copy one solid minute out of five error free at
13WPM. I passed it on the first try. I almost failed the sending test,
as I had never spent much time doing that. I had never made a code
contact before my test, and I have only made a couple since.

The thing about code contacts is they never seem to want to say anything
beyond:

WA3XXX DE W6XX RST 5NN WX FB 73 W6XX SK

Contacts like that still help maintain receiving skill. That's important
if you ever have to use CW to save a life.

SC

How are you going to save a life with CW? If someone is having a heart
attack he's not going to be steady enough to type out an SOS to you.

No planes use morse code. No ships do either. Just who do you think is
going to send you an SOS?