Old July 20th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
RHF RHF is offline

Default FA : R-390A Receiver (1984 - Serial #2)

On Jul 20, 7:47 am, Spam Trap wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:40:10 -0600 (MDT), Ted wrote:
eBay:http://easyurl.net/R390A

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to
advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates
the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may
among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend
the user's eBay account."
-- http://pages.ebay.com/help/welcome/usenet-policy.html

Spam Trap - You are right this Item should have been posted to
"Rec.Radio.Swap" with a "FA" {For Auction} at the start of the
Subject Line so that readers will know that this was in-fact an
Item For Sale {For Auction}.

FA - R-390A Receiver (1984 - Serial #2)
eBay: http://easyurl.net/R390A

Actually to be honest and correct the eBay Seller should
have Posted eBay Auction Listing for this Item reads:
FOWLER INDUSTRIES, R-390A,
SERIAL#2, RAREST EVER MADE
eBay Item Number: 220132158407
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ220132158407

But then, since this is a 'Rare' Fowler Industries R-390A
with a very low Serial Number "#2" : The eBay Seller
did feel that other "Rec.Radio" NewsGroup may have been
interested in this R-390A. Such as :
Rec.Radio.Shortwave,
Rec.Radio.Amateur.Equipment,
Rec.Radio.Amateur.Boatanchors

Why I myself did not know that some R-390As were build
by Fowler Industries. Plus the eBay Auction "Description"
itself is a very interesting and informative read about this
"Rare' R-390A Receiver. I would even say to others that
-if- you were unaware of the Fowler Industries R-390A
Receivers and you have an interest in old R-390A Receivers;
you should take the time to read this eBay Auction
'Description' for the information that it presents.
http://www.ia.net/~wbsorsby/N5BU/R390/r390.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_Collins

The R390A/URR webpages on the WWW
http://www.r390a.com/
http://www.radioera.com/mall/RareMIN...BuiltR390A.asp
http://r-390a.us/

The R-390A Frequently Asked Questions Page
http://www.r-390a.net/faq-overview.htm

NOTICE - BE ADVISED :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.
Old July 20th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jul 20, 3:20 pm, RHF wrote:
On Jul 20, 7:47 am, Spam Trap wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:40:10 -0600 (MDT), Ted wrote:
eBay:http://easyurl.net/R390A

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to
advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates
the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may
among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend
the user's eBay account."
-- http://pages.ebay.com/help/welcome/usenet-policy.html

Spam Trap - You are right this Item should have been posted to
"Rec.Radio.Swap" with a "FA" {For Auction} at the start of the
Subject Line so that readers will know that this was in-fact an
Item For Sale {For Auction}.

'Description' for the information that it presents.http://www.ia.net/~wbsorsby/N5BU/R39...ckwell_Collins

The R390A/URR webpages on the WWWhttp://www.r390a.com/http://www.radioera.com/mall/RareMINTCollinsBuiltR390A.asphttp://r-390a.us/

The R-390A Frequently Asked Questions Pagehttp://www.r-390a.net/faq-overview.htm

NOTICE - BE ADVISED :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.
.
PLEASE NOTE - FWIW :
That this Message is being Posted for Informational Purposes Only.
- - - It was simply an Interesting 'Rare' R-390A ReceiverAntenna - -
-
.
KNOW YOUR SELLER and something about what they are Selling.
As Always - Buyer Beware - Life is a Gamble and so is eBay.
.
Once Again "Spam Trap" thank you for informing us of the
eBay Users Ban on Posting to Usenet Groups (Internet
Newsgroups) to inform the Readers of those Groups about
a possible Item of Interest to them that was 'topical' for that
NewsGroup. Now had the original poster {Spammer ?}
posted a Waring Bleander for sale to a Radio Newsgroup :
Clearly that would have been Spam. But a 'Rare' R-390A
Receiver made by Fowler Industries . . . I just don't know
if that is 'inappropriate' or 'violates' the 'Usenet Policy'
{Rules} for the above identified NewsGroups.
.
.
probing the air waves with my radios on
and my antennas up ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Out of curiosity is there a difference between a Fowler manufactured
R390A and one made by another company in 1984?

Old July 20th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

RHF wrote:
On Jul 20, 7:47 am, Spam Trap wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:40:10 -0600 (MDT), Ted wrote:
eBay:http://easyurl.net/R390A

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to
advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates
the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may
among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend
the user's eBay account."
-- http://pages.ebay.com/help/welcome/usenet-policy.html

Spam Trap - You are right this Item should have been posted to
"Rec.Radio.Swap" with a "FA" {For Auction} at the start of the
Subject Line so that readers will know that this was in-fact an
Item For Sale {For Auction}.

[...]

Interesting! I attended the Navy's answer to R-390A school more years
ago than I would like to admit and I never heard of "Fowler Industries".
Nice piece of history but agree that it should not have been posted in
several of these groups for sale. As they say, there is a proper place
for all the stuff for sale let alone ebay's rules and policies.

On a side note, I did notice a few posts stating these receivers in
general were "junk". It all depends on your perspective. The
sensitivity, when properly aligned, is still competitive with more
modern equipment. If one were to set their new ((rig) (insert your
favorite brand named, DSP, Solid state, processed, ET. here))next to a
R-390 and exposed both to one hell of a EMP, which one do you think has
a chance to still work?

Not that this was in the original design specifications but the R-390
has also stopped many a bullet or shrapnel for ripping an op in two.

To reiterate, it is all a matter of perspective kind of like relativity.

Regards,
Paul WD8OSU

Old July 20th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Roadie wrote:

Out of curiosity is there a difference between a Fowler manufactured
R390A and one made by another company in 1984?

ISTR reading one of the R390A sites that said the Fowler unit
was built from refurbished surplus R390A parts (EAC).

As I recall, the Navy burped up a need for a couple of more R390A units
for some reason or another, and put out a RFQ. Fowler won the bid.

Or maybe I am fantasizing?

-Chuck
Old July 20th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Roadie wrote:
Out of curiosity is there a difference between a Fowler manufactured
R390A and one made by another company in 1984?

There were no other R390As made by anyone else in 1984.

Ron