Old February 12th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default Question Marine VHF / Ham Transceiver

Is there a amateur base station uni tthat will transmit/receive FM on the
Marine band?

Old February 12th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

"aieo" wrote in message
Is there a amateur base station unit that will transmit/receive FM on the
Marine band?

hmm
I doubt that such a rig would be "Type Accepted" by the FCC" for USA use on
both bands

Suggest you check on this before buying or modifying.

Lamont

Old February 12th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

I know of no 2 meter ham transceiver that is legal to use on the marine
band. However, if you need both, you can buy a commercial unit and program
it for the ham band. I do that and am legal.

Colin K7FM

Old February 12th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Thanks. We all have seen commercial ham units able to go out of band just on
their inherant design. For example, many aircraft use amateur gear for HF
aviation use. I was just wondering if any units out there were capable of
the marine band.

Old February 13th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

As Info, Marine radio- like Commercial radio must be type accepted by
the FCC.
Amateur radio is more or less exempt from this restriction (Save 10-12-6
Meter Amps) Jim NN7K

Old February 13th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
I know of no 2 meter ham transceiver that is legal to use on the marine
band. However, if you need both, you can buy a commercial unit and
program
it for the ham band. I do that and am legal.

Colin K7FM

Yes, Marine Radio's must be "Type Accepted" by the FCC, in order to be
marketed in the us, BUT, there are both MF/HF, and VHF Marine Radio's,
that CAN be used on Amateur Frequencies, by licensed operators.
SGC made a MF/HF Radio that could do this, and a number of the VHF Marine
Radios have a "TEST Mode" that allow for "Out of band Operation" on
the Amateur VHF frequencies. What needs to be understood here, IS
that you can't modify the Radio Circuitry, to achieve the "Out of Band"
capability, and still keep the "Type Acceptance" validity, it must be
able to be done without "Removing the Covers", ie, from the Front Panel.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply