Old February 22nd 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Is this Pilot set real?

All,
There is a listing on eBay for this Pilot radio:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

It is advertised as a T704. I have never heard or seen a T704, but I
do have a T502U, which is the EXACT same radio, except the dial on the
T502U just has Pilot Radio on it. The T704 has Pilot Junior. I am
somewhat skeptical of this set for the following reasons.
1) The white Plaskon is just TOO white. Ivory was the color that these
sets were produced in, the T500 (all Ivory) and the T502U ( Ivory and
Brown) has this off-white color that was pretty much the same shade in
each model.
2) The product tag on the back of the set looks like it may be a
replacement. I know from experience that on T500's and T502U's, the
product label/tube layout was on the bottom of the set.
3) I asked the seller if he could send me a photo of the bottom of the
set as I was curious about this anamoly. His answer was that the set
is already packed and waiting shipment. I, for one have NEVER pre-
packed an item, just in case an interested buyer wanted more photos.
I leave it up to you folks to check this set out and see what you may
think.
rgds,
Mark S.
Old February 23rd 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

When was your similar looking model made? The one up for auction has
a 1950s tube lineup according to the sticker on the back but that
definitely looks like a 1940s radio.. and the knobs look late 30s if
you ask me.

Yet I wonder who would go to so much trouble to reproduce a sticker
for a relatively uncommon radio...

Regards,

Jeremiah

Old February 23rd 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
[...]

It looks real to me
here is a link I found to another

http://nostalgicradios.com/nostalgic/gallery2.html

Old February 24th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hmm, 1946. This must be one of the first postwar models to use
subminiature tubes.

I'm curious, what is the first consumer radio to use all subminiature
tubes?

Best,

Jeremiah
Old February 24th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I think you mean miniature tubes. Sub-miniature tubes were used in a few
small battery portables but didn't catch on. They were used extensively in
hearing aids, though.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eportiz. Then replace
nospam with sacbeemail.

Old February 25th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
"Jim Mueller" wrote:

I think you mean miniature tubes. Sub-miniature tubes were used in a few
small battery portables but didn't catch on. They were used extensively in
hearing aids, though.

And I think they were used even more extensively in airborne military
computers.

Regards,

John Byrns

Old February 25th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
"Jim Mueller" wrote:

I think you mean miniature tubes. Sub-miniature tubes were used in a few
small battery portables but didn't catch on. They were used extensively in
hearing aids, though.

I don't think it is strictly a matter of them not catching on. They became
commercially affordable right about the same time as transistors. They didn't
stand a chance.

And I think they were used even more extensively in airborne military
computers.

They also showed up in main frame computers. Somewhere I have some cards
that came from some computer that used a staggering number of the wee beasties.

CK6088's were the tube they used.

-Chuck

Old February 25th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

nesesu wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:02 am, J Ventry-McGee wrote:
Hmm, 1946. This must be one of the first postwar models to use
subminiature tubes.

I'm curious, what is the first consumer radio to use all subminiature
tubes?

Best,

Jeremiah

RCA BP-10 ?

Neil S

ARC Corp. used the sub-miniature tubes extensively in their comm/nav
equipment. The MIL PRC-6 used them as did the RCA SRR-11/12/13 and
FRR-21/22/23 receivers. I still have a small drawer full of them. As I
recall, didn't Motorola also use them extensively in their portable VHF
radio sets as used by FD's, etc?

Old February 25th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"K3HVG" wrote in message
. ..
nesesu wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:02 am, J Ventry-McGee wrote:
Hmm, 1946. This must be one of the first postwar models to use
subminiature tubes.

I'm curious, what is the first consumer radio to use all subminiature
tubes?

Best,

Jeremiah

RCA BP-10 ?

Neil S

ARC Corp. used the sub-miniature tubes extensively in their comm/nav
equipment. The MIL PRC-6 used them as did the RCA SRR-11/12/13 and
FRR-21/22/23 receivers. I still have a small drawer full of them. As I
recall, didn't Motorola also use them extensively in their portable VHF
radio sets as used by FD's, etc?

They were also used in the AN/ARN-21 TACAN sets in aircraft.

Leanne - W1WXS