Old July 7th 03, 07:42 PM
G. Doughty

Default hf transceiver

I have been looking at the Heathkit hw-101, the atlas 210x, and various alinco
mobiles. My main concern is cost. I only have 250-300 to spend on this unit.
I am obviously not particular about type. Is it cheaper to get a mobile and
use it as a transceiver or just get an old base station and use that? I am
really quite interested in the old analog dial types. Any suggestions? CW is
a must.

G. Doughty
KI4BBL
remove nojunk to email
Old July 8th 03, 04:18 PM
Alex

If you're willing to do a few repairs and/or look for awhile you can get
good gear for very cheap. My HF rig is a Kenwood TS-520 that I only paid
$225 CDN for. Goto your local ham club meetings and put out the word
that you're looking for a rig, sometimes you can get one free that just
needs a few repairs or get one for a good price.

Alex
VE3LEG

Old July 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Dave B.

You don't need to sink as low as those rigs you are mentioning. For 300
bucks you can pick up a Kenwood TS-530SE or an Icom IC-730 or possibly a 735
or something along those lines.

Those do not have analog dials but are probably as good as you arer going to
find in bang for your buck. Otherwise, you can probably find a decent Drake
TR-4c. That was a good rig and it has the analog setup you like.

Old July 8th 03, 07:15 PM
G. Doughty

Thank you for all the responses. You guys are most helpful. Here is my next
step. There is the BRATS hamfest in Maryland that I will be going to at the
end of the month. It will be my first fest. I'm rolling out of here at 2:00am
to get there when tailgate sales begin. Are the products pretty good from
hamfests in general. The radios I have my eyes on are the ts-520, ft-101, ten
tec 555(not sure but if the price is right why not), and still the atlas 210x.
What do i need to look for to keep from getting suckered. Hams are a pretty
honest bunch from what I have learned, but I still do not want to be taken for
a ride. I do have some electrical experience( avionics in the Navy).

Thanks
G. Doughty
KI4BBL
remove nojunk to email
Old July 8th 03, 07:39 PM
Alex

Ask for them to plug it in and show that it even turns on (that'l cover
powersupply problems in rigs with internal supplies). For the TS-520
(and similar kenwood rigs) there's a function knob that activates a
built in 25 khz crystal calibrator, get them to switch that on and tune
in a few marker signals on each band (that proves that the VFO and
heterodyne oscillator both work). Best would be an on air test, but that
might be too much to hope for at a hamfest. You should try and get the
manual with any radio you buy, ordering them on the net is often expensive.

Another rig to look for is the Icom IC-720, it has a good reputation in
my club, and sometimes goes for cheap. I saw one go for $125 CDN, but
that is usually too much to hope for. They have digital tuning though.

Enjoy the fest, they're ALOT of fun.

Alex
VE3LEG

Old July 8th 03, 07:53 PM
Dave B.

In general, the people selling stuff at hamfests are honest. To feel safer,
at the hamfest, buy from someone who lives locally or near you and gives you
his callsign, etc.. If he lies to you he will know that it will be more
difficult to get away with it. Again, it is unlikely you'll get taken, but
it happens.

The hamfest idea is good because this is the best place to find the stuff
you're looking for and the prices you need. Normal dealers will not usually
take such radios in trade, and if you buy from someone over the web, it is
more likely that you won't be satisfied with the condition because many of
these rigs have led some long and, lets' say, "exciting" lives. If I were
buying a boatanchor I would want to SEE it first.

Plug the rig in at the hamfest (most of what you are looking at needs 110v
so you'll need to go to the building where they judge pigs and goats) and
see if it fires up. You may have to buy it first, but at least the seller
will still be there. Jam a length of wire into the antenna connector. If it
does not have an interrnal speaker (much of what you are looking at does
not), see if you can see the s-meter moving. Make sure you have a bunch of
wire to give it a fighting chance. A coat hanger may not get the job done.