Old October 16th 03, 10:15 PM
private

Default NiMH battery problem?

I got a replacement NiMH for a NiCad pack for a HT.
When I charge it it opens up. After it cools down it is
fine.
It is an Alinco quick charger and it is almost impossible to
make the charger light for trickle green.

Old October 16th 03, 11:19 PM
mike

private wrote:
I got a replacement NiMH for a NiCad pack for a HT.
When I charge it it opens up. After it cools down it is
fine.
It is an Alinco quick charger and it is almost impossible to
make the charger light for trickle green.

Sounds like you're overcharging it. NiMH and NiCd use different
charge termination schemes. While it is possible to design a
charger for both, older NiCd chargers may not ever terminate with a NiMH
battery. Might want to take this up with the battery vendor.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old October 17th 03, 05:46 PM
jakdedert

"mike" wrote in message ...
private wrote:
I got a replacement NiMH for a NiCad pack for a HT.
When I charge it it opens up. After it cools down it is
fine.
It is an Alinco quick charger and it is almost impossible to
make the charger light for trickle green.

Sounds like you're overcharging it. NiMH and NiCd use different
charge termination schemes. While it is possible to design a
charger for both, older NiCd chargers may not ever terminate with a NiMH
battery. Might want to take this up with the battery vendor.
mike

Just to clarify, what you are probably seeing is the battery packs internal
thermal overload opening up from overcharging. A few cycles of this will
likely destroy the pack.

jak