Old December 8th 03, 02:18 PM
Wayne Redick

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"R. Belcher" wrote in message
I'm betting on FRS, 4 miles from sand dune to sand dune, and/or flat
ground..... not a lot of buildings and trees in the desert.....

Not a lot of desert in Bosnia.....

Not a lot of FCC Jurisdiction either.
Sad to hear our Soldiers have to resort to commercially available radios to
communicate.No Signal Corps stationed there or what?
Sheesh
Wayne

Old December 8th 03, 02:24 PM
Wayne Redick

"Noah Simoneaux"
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:52:07 GMT, "R. Belcher" wrote:

(snip)
If they're getting four miles range, they are using GMRS radios, not

FRS.
(GMRS shares some channels with FRS, has more power, and requires an
FCC license.)

Do the FCC rules apply in Bosnia?

No they do not.The FCC only covers American States and its maritime
territorial waters.

I'm betting on FRS, 4 miles from sand dune to sand dune, and/or flat
ground..... not a lot of buildings and trees in the desert.....

That would be very good range for FRS. I can't even get 2 miles

line-of-sight
with mine.

Either way, it sounds to me like an absolute security nightmare.

Probably less of a nightmare than not having good commo.

Old December 9th 03, 12:46 AM
Ed G.

Do the FCC rules apply in Bosnia?

No they do not.The FCC only covers American States and its maritime
territorial waters.

Actually, the FCC rules do NOT apply to the Military, or any other
Federal Government Entity. They are governed by the Dept. of Commerce,
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/

Ed WB6SAT
Old December 9th 03, 07:55 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:46:43 GMT, "Ed G."
wrote:

Do the FCC rules apply in Bosnia?

No they do not.The FCC only covers American States and its maritime
territorial waters.

Actually, the FCC rules do NOT apply to the Military, or any other
Federal Government Entity. They are governed by the Dept. of Commerce,
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/

Yes, but the FCC rules DO apply to soldiers using non-military radios in the US.

It is easier to fight for our principles than to live up to them.-Alfred Adler
Old December 9th 03, 02:50 PM
Caljsi

Nothing new here. I'd have liked to have had a dollar for every CB radio that
was deployed to Vietnam!