Old February 17th 04, 05:41 AM
Tony Hwang

Zoran Brlecic wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

There is a reason for that cosidering how this type caps work.
Putting in a 200WV cap in a 15WV application is not a good idea.

Because...

Hi,
Please do your research on the 'net. If you replace low voltage one with
too high voltage ones, the cap. does not work well. Believe me.
73,
Tony, VE6CGX
Old February 17th 04, 08:30 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Tony Hwang wrote:

There is a reason for that cosidering how this type caps work.
Putting in a 200WV cap in a 15WV application is not a good idea.

Because...

Hi,
Please do your research on the 'net. If you replace low voltage one with
too high voltage ones, the cap. does not work well. Believe me.

Well, look, this whole discussion started by me asking for reasons for
this. If I wanted to "do research on the net", I would have done so, but
not every question warrants a Web research and your "does not work well"
notion means little. Some posters have offered explanations and they
sound reasonable enough, but just saying "believe me" doesn't do it for
me. If I'd wanted to practice irrational blind belief, I would have
joined a religion.

73 ... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old February 17th 04, 02:06 PM
PooPooPanz

I really don't think a 50V electrolyic capacitor suffers a bit if you
only put 10V across it.

I've also never seen any mention of this in any manufacturer's data
sheets or catalogs.

Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Actually, it seems not only Jim is correct, but the Mouser catalog (#605) has
an *Application Note* at the top of its electrolytic cap products that state,
"A higher voltage capacitor may be used in a lower voltage application." It
does not elaborate or suggest there are limitations to this rule. (See Pg.'s
248, 249, 250, 251) 8~]
Old February 17th 04, 05:47 PM
W4JLE

What a huge pile of equine excrement!

Old February 17th 04, 07:24 PM
Zoran Brlecic

W4JLE wrote:

What a huge pile of equine excrement!

What's the problem now? Some liberals ****ed in your coffee again this
morning?

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old February 18th 04, 03:00 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:41:07 GMT Tony Hwang wrote:

Zoran Brlecic wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

There is a reason for that cosidering how this type caps work.
Putting in a 200WV cap in a 15WV application is not a good idea.

Because...

Please do your research on the 'net. If you replace low voltage one with
too high voltage ones, the cap. does not work well. Believe me.

Well, isn't this part of the net? If I knew you I might have some
reason to just accept what you say on blind faith, but then again the
curious side of me would still like to know why.

I've asked around where I work and only come up with blank stares. The
only reasons we can come up with to avoid this are cost and space. I
haven't found any electronic or physics yet that would predict such an
outcome, nor have I EVER seen such an admonition in the data sheets
from any manufacturer.

Sorry, but I remain extremely skeptical.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old February 18th 04, 03:00 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:24:20 GMT Zoran Brlecic
wrote:

W4JLE wrote:

What a huge pile of equine excrement!

What's the problem now? Some liberals ****ed in your coffee again this
morning?

Actually, I think you'll find that the opinion above would be shared
by both liberals and conservatives.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old February 18th 04, 04:11 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Jim Adney wrote:

What a huge pile of equine excrement!

What's the problem now? Some liberals ****ed in your coffee again this
morning?

Actually, I think you'll find that the opinion above would be shared
by both liberals and conservatives.

Never mind, this is just a friendly jab at W4JLE's tendency to blame the
liberals for everything from the economy to the storms on Jupiter.

WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old February 21st 04, 09:43 AM
R. Asby Dragon

"W4JLE" w4jle(remove to wrote in message
The higher voltage values are no problem. Do not stray to far from

the
original Mfd values. Remember you can also series for example 2

200 volt
400Mfd caps to get a 400 Volt 200 Mfd cap.

Not a good idea with electrolytics... if one goes "high leakage";
the other one gets overvolted ..

You've never "lived" until you had a 400 microfathead filtercap
blow up and unroll past your nose while doing "func test" on a board
that was mis-stuffed with a 100 WV cap that was supposed to be 450
WV.