Old February 16th 04, 05:15 PM
Bob Bowes

Default Sale and shipping outside of US?

This seems the logical place to ask my question. I've got an offer from
someone in Asia who wants to buy a transceiver. Older model, nothing
terrific. Are there any export restrictions to Indonesia that could get in
the way? I'll assume shipping and customs will add to the cost. Thanks.

--
WF8V

Old February 16th 04, 05:26 PM
bunnydawg

Be careful how he pays you. Lots of scams going around. I know of a few
businesses online that will not take credit cards from these countries
because of forgeries.
Good luck
Robert
VE3 something or other

Old February 16th 04, 05:40 PM
Steve Uhrig

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:15:14 -0500, "Bob Bowes"
wrote:

This seems the logical place to ask my question. I've got an offer from
someone in Asia who wants to buy a transceiver. Older model, nothing
terrific. Are there any export restrictions to Indonesia that could get in
the way?

No restrictions to Indonesia for garden variety commo. Certain commo
items are restricted from being exported to anywhere without a license
but you're unlikely to run into that type of gear.

HOWEVER, there is an **extremely** high incidence of fraud stemming
from Indonesia. Credit cards used frequently are stolen, and if
through paypal guess who loses? Certified checks are fraudulent, but
it takes a week or two for you to discover that and you've usually
shipped the product by then. Fraudulent certified checks result in the
money being removed from your bank account. You're always liable.

The only way you'd be covered is a wire transfer or some sort of
confirmed payment, AND WAIT a few weeks after, because the clever
crooks have found ways to fake those too.

A clue is if the buyer doesnt' seem concerned about cost, doesn't seem
to care too much about the details of the product, and if the guy
placing the order wants it shipped to a different name and address
than he gives you.

Another warning sign is if the buyer wants multiple items, like 5 used
transceivers, or whatever. They don't know or care what the items are,
as if they get them free they can pawn them for a few Rupiahs.

Do NOT take any kind of payment which is not certified, and that
pretty much limits you to a wire transfer. Even then you need to wait,
as if they deposited a phony check to cover the wire and it bounces,
the money will be removed from your account.

We are credit card merchants, and we get weekly alerts from our card
processor on precisely this issue. We've had a number of fraudulent
orders placed via email for products, and in every case the credit
cards turned out to be stolen. One was stolen from a vet in NJ who
hadn't used the card in a year and had no idea the number had been
compromised. Even if my card processor approves the charge, if the
card turns out to be stolen later, it's me who loses.

I'll assume shipping and customs will add to the cost.

Duty and taxes almost always are for the account of the buyer. Many
times the Indonesian scammer will refuse a shipment because he wants
it for free, not even willing to pay the duty and taxes.

Do some research on international scams and you'll see Indonesia is at
the top of the list.

Cover your six. My company maintains an office in Jakarta (Indonesia)
to service our govermment accounts there, and I insist all requests
for product be placed through our office there. That's the end of the
story when I specify that. My local agent in Jakarta can't be fooled.

Steve WA3SWS

************************************************** *******************
Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"
************************************************** *******************
Old February 16th 04, 05:48 PM
Tony Hwang

Bob Bowes wrote:
This seems the logical place to ask my question. I've got an offer from
someone in Asia who wants to buy a transceiver. Older model, nothing
terrific. Are there any export restrictions to Indonesia that could get in
the way? I'll assume shipping and customs will add to the cost. Thanks.

Hi,
Indonesia? Lots of fraud from that place. I won't even bother if buyer
is from there. Never noticed "Will never ship to Indonesia" comment on
eBay sales listings? Never heard credit card fraud from Indonesia?
If it is from JA land, may be, but not from Indonesia.
73,
Tony, VE6CGX
Old February 17th 04, 12:11 AM
Marvin Moss

I had a guy from there tell me he was
going to send me a certified check for three
times what I was asking and he wanted me to
send him the difference from my account.

This is a well-known scam.

Beware.......

"Bob Bowes" wrote in message
This seems the logical place to ask my question. I've got an offer from
someone in Asia who wants to buy a transceiver. Older model, nothing
terrific. Are there any export restrictions to Indonesia that could get

in
the way? I'll assume shipping and customs will add to the cost. Thanks.

--
WF8V

MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Equipment 0 January 30th 04 03:56 PM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Equipment 0 January 30th 04 03:56 PM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Swap 0 January 30th 04 03:55 PM
For Sale: Various Items Dave Hollander Boatanchors 0 September 8th 03 12:29 AM
For Sale: Various Items Dave Hollander Equipment 0 September 8th 03 12:29 AM