Old March 28th 04, 11:43 PM
Nitespark

Donnie wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:57:12 -0500, Nitespark wrote:

Donnie wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:07:32 -0500, Nitespark wrote:

I was referring to one of the remote garage door openers like they have
for residential garage doors. They also make them for commercial garage
doors. I know the local fire department has them on their trucks so as
the truck approaches the station, the driver can hit the button and open
the door to the truck bay he actually needs. No longer do they have to
let someone out of the truck to unlock the building and hit the button
to raise the truck bay door. They also use them to CLOSE the door as
they are leaving out on a call.

Seems like the easiest, least expensive and most secure way to do it.

Rich wrote:

they don't want get out of the car

"Nitespark" wrote in message

Rich wrote:

Our local police want to have a receiver on our Township radio

frequency,

452.800 with a PL when keyed outside the office will open a garage door.

Do you know or have any thing in this area. The receiver would be set so
less sensitive as to only work with in 100 ft. This must be done because

our

neighboring dept has one.

I would highly recommend against that. That would be entirely too easy
to hack.

Why don't they just go with a simple garage door opener and issue each
car its own transmitter??? The newer models of garage door openers are
fairly secure.

--
Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any
man who is over 30,

Check with you local slide gate installer, A device is made to recognize the ''yelp'' of a siren.
It is called a yelp detector.
I installed one on each of the three slide gates at the plant I maintain and they work like a
charm,everytime the police or fire department pay my site a visit they just roll up to the gate
yelp the siren and entrance is granted. just my two pennies worth.

Still easy to hack and lacks security.

I guess you are an expert? I have had these yelp detectors on my gates for three years and NEVER
had a breach of security or an incident. Plant is located in one of the highest crime rate
districts in Charleston,S.C. says alot for security and hacks heh!

I have seen sirens and speakers go for $10-$25 at hamfests, and even on
Ebay. What about a nearby car alarm going off and opening it up?? How
does the system distinguish between a car alarm and an emergency vehicle
siren. Emergency vehicle sirens are different and vary in tone and
frequency even among the same models of the same manufacturer. So it
would seem to me, the system would have to be broad enough to get any
siren from any emergency vehicle regardless of whether its the Federal
"Q", a Federal PA300, or Whelen, or whatever happens to be mounted on
the vehicle. It would also have to be selective enough to weed out a
car alarm, or an alarm on a nearby building. Perhaps your system is
sophisticated enough to do that. But simply because your system has
never been breached, is not sufficient reason to be over confident in
its abilities. Not knowing your facility this may or may not be a
factor. Perhaps you have 24hr armed security on premises to screen any
circumstances where the gate may be caused to open. Perhaps your
facility is not a desireable target for thieves and/or they have not yet
figured out your system or simply don't care.

Old March 29th 04, 12:16 AM
Donnie

Rich wrote:

[...]

The system can distinguish, it only looks for the specific yelp of a fire, police or emergency
vehicle. I installed the detectors so emergency personel could enter the site unimpeaded in case of
fire, police or medical emergency. I am confident of its ability and the site houses vehicles and
heavy equipment for a public utility. One person is on the site after hours 24/7 and they never
leave the building except to change shifts.

System does work..

Donnie (N4JZH)

''Behold how good and well brethren dwell together in unity''
Old March 29th 04, 12:51 AM
Nitespark

Rich wrote:

[...]

OK...I will take your word for it. I just can't understand how the
system can be that specific yet broad. However, someone who wanted to
get in need only acquire a siren and a speaker and these are readily
available at almost any hamfest, on Ebay, or at many municipal auctions.

I have done service work on PA300 sirens (also a few of the old
Interceptors) and I can tell you that even out of the box, from the
factory, they will vary in tone frequency and the frequency of the yelp.

Old April 7th 04, 10:04 AM
JOCK tec

i dont believe him