Old March 30th 04, 01:58 AM
Jim

David,
Thanks. I found this interesting. As "search terms" any of those words
would give overwhelming results, for sure. As descriptive add ons, I
guess they have a place.
For radios, I suppose a purist would say there is no such thing as an
antique radio (over 100 years old), but that dead horse was beaten
many threads back.

I just did some quick ebay searches:
"collectable": 9,528 items available now
"collectible": 15,741 items available now

I did manage to find:
-- one "collectible unique rare deco" item. A "must have"!
-- 89 "vintage rare deco" pieces, including a cool radio poster, a
microphone, an RCA radio, a Zenith radio
-- "piece crap" yielded a paltry 2 items
-- 389 antique radios or related
-- 588 unique antiques

This is fun! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jim (one of them)
Old March 30th 04, 03:21 AM
Robert Casey

David Stinson wrote:

It's time once again for our annual count
of the descriptive words
made meaningless by overuse and abuse in Ebay titles.

I've heard that ebay has ruled out the use of "RCA not Zenith".
As it spams someone looking for Zeniths. One could get around that
by saying "RCA !Zenith". "!" means "not" in some programming
circles.... :-)

Old March 30th 04, 05:20 AM
radiok3pi

Two of my personal favorites

Worked great last time I used it.

Couldn't find any batteries around here to test it.
Old March 30th 04, 05:28 AM
DaveW

Bill Morris wrote:

Don't forget the term, "minty," whateverthehell that is.....:-)

That's for all the green radios.

Regards,

DAve
Old March 30th 04, 11:37 AM

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:58:53 UTC, (Jim)
wrote:

David,
Thanks. I found this interesting. As "search terms" any of those words
would give overwhelming results, for sure. As descriptive add ons, I
guess they have a place.
For radios, I suppose a purist would say there is no such thing as an
antique radio (over 100 years old), but that dead horse was beaten
many threads back.

The horse is coming back to life.

I was just researching early radio for my own reasons:

Here are some contenders for the "1st Wireless Transmission"

1892 Willion Preece
1894 Oliver Lodge
1895 Marconi
1901 Marconi - Transoceanic

1904 is the cut off for some folks idea of "antique". It's not
mine. I believe that my SX-101A is an antique and I don't care what
furniture people think or say. Furniture folk do not own the
English language or the legal system. They definitely do not have
the final say.

At best all they can do is state, "in some circles, by convention, a
piece of furniture is not considered an antique until it is 100
years old." They should add, "This has no legal standing or
general agreement, although some folk might like to imagine it
does."

By 1916 there seems to have been commercial radio broadcasts with
news and music and thousands of avid listeners.

One surprise for me was discovering that the transcontinental
railroad was completed in 1869 trailing Western Union's
transcontinental wire telegraph which was in 1861. The Pony Express
started in 1860 so it probably lasted about 1 year.

de ah6gi/4

Old March 30th 04, 01:18 PM
Brian Goldsmith

"Robert Casey" wrote

It's time once again for our annual count
of the descriptive words
made meaningless by overuse and abuse in Ebay titles.

I've heard that ebay has ruled out the use of "RCA not Zenith".
As it spams someone looking for Zeniths. One could get around that
by saying "RCA !Zenith". "!" means "not" in some programming
circles.... :-)

*** If Ebay did rule that out,then it does not apply in this case:-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ategory=15 02

Brian Goldsmith.

Old March 30th 04, 01:59 PM

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:21:40 GMT, Robert Casey
wrote:

David Stinson wrote:

It's time once again for our annual count
of the descriptive words
made meaningless by overuse and abuse in Ebay titles.

I've heard that ebay has ruled out the use of "RCA not Zenith".
As it spams someone looking for Zeniths. One could get around that
by saying "RCA !Zenith". "!" means "not" in some programming
circles.... :-)

The boffins at eBay call it 'keyword spamming' and devote a few pages
to the topic.
Old March 31st 04, 01:44 AM

On 30 Mar 2004 10:37:47 GMT, No Spam wrote:

1904 is the cut off for some folks idea of "antique". It's not
mine. I believe that my SX-101A is an antique and I don't care what
furniture people think or say. Furniture folk do not own the
English language or the legal system. They definitely do not have
the final say.

At best all they can do is state, "in some circles, by convention, a
piece of furniture is not considered an antique until it is 100
years old." They should add, "This has no legal standing or
general agreement, although some folk might like to imagine it
does."

Actually, in many circles, antique means specifically "made
before the beginning of the industrial revolution", not a specific
number of years old.