RadioBanter

-   -   Dayton (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/57363-dayton.html)

LW May 17th 04 07:33 PM

Dayton

There was a "bulletin" (8.5x11 sheet of paper) on the window of the
ticket sales office stating in LARGE RED LETTERS that Hamvention
*will* be at Hara again next year.

Trying to squelch any rumors about condos, etc, like we've heard for
the last 2 or 3 years, I guess.

LW May 18th 04 02:58 AM

"MRR" wrote ...

This same announcement was made over the intercom system to all at Dayton on
Saturday several times.

This was my 5th trip to Dayton - Hara is getting old and tired and grungy.

And they're not investing in "paint'n wallpaper".

Probably just a matter of time.

Dwayne May 18th 04 04:07 AM

In article ,
says...

This was my 5th trip to Dayton - Hara is getting old and tired and grungy.

And they're not investing in "paint'n wallpaper".

Probably just a matter of time.

Why are you people looking at the walls when there are all those neato
radios to be looking at? Hell I have been going there for years and cant
even tell you the colors of the hallways. I wish they would do something
better about the parking though. ****es me off everytime I go there and
that front lot is almost empty :/ I wonder how many cars got stuck in
the field this year :)

dbn May 18th 04 01:46 PM

If you can get DARA to move the convention to Vegas more power to you!
Since DARA are the folks that do all the work they are the ones that say
where it happens. Also just vecause Dayton is the mother of all
hamfestsMOHF does not mean its the national cnvention, it just plays one
on TV

--
If I am tired now, why do I have to RETIRE later?

John Goller, k9uwa May 18th 04 05:54 PM

In article 5Bnqc.53702$Z%5.42189@okepread01, says...

If you can get DARA to move the convention to Vegas more power to you!
Since DARA are the folks that do all the work they are the ones that say
where it happens. Also just vecause Dayton is the mother of all
hamfestsMOHF does not mean its the national cnvention, it just plays one
on TV

Used to be.... but with..
800 Empty Flea Spaces..
one complete inside building that used to have vendors in it..
The "Tent Police"
The "Aisle Police"
The lousy parking arrangements
The lack this year... a new twist... of Temp Parking for Pickup of
heavy items...
Weather..
Economy
Flea Bay

I am beginning to think that it just isn't worth it to me.... and I am
a 20+ year Veteran Attendee...
Next years Entry ticket is 25 bucks.... so they will also raise the
Flea Space prices... means that less Fleas will attend... think they
should consider lowering the prices to get the attendance and fleas
up... net money to them would be the same... and more goodies to look
at and more people to look at the goodies.... someone needs to explain
"Marketing" to the DARA people ...

John k9uwa

John Goller, k9uwa May 18th 04 06:06 PM

In article 1drqc.112183$Ik.9147885@attbi_s53,
TUFF says...

John k9uwa

Forgot one...
the Dayton Convention Buro .. sets the prices that the Hotels
Charge for Hamvention as well as all other Conventions..

100 bucks plus for a Holiday Inn Express ... is a little on the
high side!

John k9uwa

LJ May 19th 04 02:11 AM

TUFF (John Goller, k9uwa) wrote in message news:Morqc.21613$qA.2440824@attbi_s51...
In article 1drqc.112183$Ik.9147885@attbi_s53,
TUFF says...

John k9uwa

Forgot one...
the Dayton Convention Buro .. sets the prices that the Hotels
Charge for Hamvention as well as all other Conventions..

100 bucks plus for a Holiday Inn Express ... is a little on the
high side!

John k9uwa

It was sad to see so many empty booths inside and out. Even some of
the regulars like Mosley, HAL, QRZ DX/DX Magazine, etc. were not there
this year. Surplus Sales of Nebraska had only a small token booth
instead of their usual big one. The big tent out in the flea market
that had several aisles of vendors was not there this year. The DX and
Contest forums that used to hold a big standing room only crowd were
relegated to a small "meeting" room. Regular forums like the excellent
"mobile radio installation and noise reduction" session were not held
there this year.

Sad.....

[email protected] May 19th 04 02:45 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:06:52 GMT, TUFF (John
Goller, k9uwa) wrote:

In article 1drqc.112183$Ik.9147885@attbi_s53,
says...

John k9uwa

Forgot one...
the Dayton Convention Buro .. sets the prices that the Hotels
Charge for Hamvention as well as all other Conventions..

100 bucks plus for a Holiday Inn Express ... is a little on the
high side!

I probably shouldn't tell you this John.

We stayed in Troy, 19 miles north on I 75 for 57.00 a night.

Our 2nd year in that location......15 minute drive.

;-)

Somebody

John k9uwa

John Goller, k9uwa May 20th 04 01:52 PM

In article ,
says...

Our 2nd year in that location......15 minute drive.

Somebody

We really didn't do too bad... $59 a night at I-70 and Main Street
going north into Englewood and South directly to the show... about
5 minutes from the show... but that won't happen next year as this
place just sold to Red Roof Inn ...

The Real Deal if you can stand the place is Motel 6 .. at Little
York Road and I-75 .... you have to book the room through Corporate
way in advance... and come in on Thursday nite.. through Sat night
then U get the Weekday Rate for the whole works.. 40 bucks a nite...
but the place is a dump... and dirty .. stayed there a year ago...
wife wouldn't go back ... neither would a couple of our friends
wives ... boy was that lady manager there mad as hell when we pushed
the Corp. Rate on her..

But for the most part .. Dayton and DARA and Hara are killing the
golden goose ...

John k9uwa