Old August 28th 04, 06:09 AM
Hamguy

Default Mandatory repeater tones in the Southeast?

http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=475

Old August 28th 04, 11:22 AM
MarkF

"Hamguy" wrote in message . ..
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=475

We did exactly the same thing 2 years ago in the Florida Repeater
Council about 2 years ago:

http://www.florida-repeaters.org/ctcss.htm

We recently made it mandatory for new coordinations in certain parts
of the band.

Mark KS4VT
Florida Repeater CCouncil
District 2 Director
Old August 28th 04, 01:38 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Hamguy" wrote in message
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=475

Talking with a couple of other repeater groups and my own opinion is the
board of the SERA overstepped its bounds by not asking for a pole of
repeater owners. As one of the people that keep up a repeater I do not like
the tone requirement. I had to put a tone requirement on for a while
because of some paging transmitter that had a spur on the repeater input and
it took a while to get that thing off the air.

If they were going to require a tone , it should have been one of two tones.
One for the 30 khz splits and another for the 15 kc splits. That would
eliminate the need to try to find a tone for a repeater for travelers.

The transceivers have had tone boards in them for so long that if you are
using a rig that old you should get a new one :-)
I don' t think that the cost should be an argument against the requirement.

I have been involved with the repeaters for over 25 years incase anyone
cares about my background with the repeater systems.

de KU4PT

Old August 29th 04, 12:03 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Hamguy" wrote in message
[...]

I can see plus and negative aspects of pl tone on ham machines. One of the
major negatives is for the travelers.. Ever try to program a rig while
mobile?

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 29th 04, 02:22 AM
Ed

If one reads the SARA notice, they will see that SARA is not "forcing"
anyone to install PL, nor will they remove the sanction for coordination.
What they will do is ignore you if you have an interference problem and you
are not running CTCSS or DCS on your receiver and transmitter.

Ed

Old August 29th 04, 02:25 AM
Ed

I can see plus and negative aspects of pl tone on ham machines. One
of the major negatives is for the travelers.. Ever try to program a
rig while mobile?

No, as that is not safe. I would assume that one had to look up the
frequency of the repeaters at some point prior to driving. That would be
the time to put it in your radio, along with the associated CTCSS
programming.

Ed K7AAT

Old August 29th 04, 04:36 AM
Steve Uhrig

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:38:54 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

If they were going to require a tone , it should have been one of two tones.
One for the 30 khz splits and another for the 15 kc splits. That would
eliminate the need to try to find a tone for a repeater for travelers.

Not debating the pros or cons of tone, although after being in the
commercial sector all my career it seems so odd to build a CSQ
machine... It is almost unheard of for something to be CSQ in the
commercial circles, and that has been the case for at least the 35
years I've been at it.

On the amateur machines I do, I put the CTCSS freq in the voice ID on
the controller.

That still doesn't address the problem of itinerant travelers needing
to program a tone in while passing through the area, but at least they
will know which one to use.

I can't program a tone into my Yaesu mobile or portable without the
manual. I program them with the appropriate software at home, not on
the road.

Steve WA3SWS

************************************************** *******************
Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"
************************************************** *******************

Old August 31st 04, 01:16 AM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote:

[...]

Addressing this situation; why not simply make the repeaters 'whistle up'?
In Germany they had the repeaters set up for a 1750 tone burst, if I
remember correctly. You could whistle it up. The machine then stayed up
for a period of time. If it dropped, you did the tone again.

It could also be setup on the machines to override the PL (private line, sub
tone) just for travelers.

I brought this up several years ago to the Alabama council. They ignored
it. What do you folks think here?

Dan/W4NTI

HELP: 2 meter repeater intermod problem from pager transmitters Photoman General 5 December 26th 04 08:27 PM
HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 12 December 22nd 04 06:17 PM
HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 0 December 21st 04 01:48 AM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
30 Steps for all New Hams WA8ULX Policy 16 August 31st 03 03:19 PM