Old October 7th 05, 02:57 AM
Al Schapira

Default FS: RCA power tube octal socket NOS/NIB, not what you expect

For sale:

RCA power tube octal socket, part # 109059, NOS/NIB, heavy duty lime
green plastic/phenolic material with integrated molded air duct with 2
1/8" male threads, and molded mounting flanges.

Pictures at

http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket3.jpg

Asking $10 shipped to any US address.

Thanks for looking.

-Al

Old October 7th 05, 06:11 AM
Jim Mueller

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:57:08 +0000, Al Schapira wrote:

For sale:

RCA power tube octal socket, part # 109059, NOS/NIB, heavy duty lime
green plastic/phenolic material with integrated molded air duct with 2
1/8" male threads, and molded mounting flanges.

Pictures at

http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/...RCAsocket3.jpg

Asking $10 shipped to any US address.

Thanks for looking.

-Al

Looks like a TV high voltage rectifier socket. The slots around the edge
are for the filament wires from the flyback transformer. Of course, just
because it was made for one purpose doesn't mean that it can't be used for
another. Since it has all the contacts, a power tube would work.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eportiz.
Then replace nospam with sacbeemail.
Old October 7th 05, 07:05 AM
Mark Oppat

Jim wrote:

Of course, just
because it was made for one purpose doesn't mean that it can't be used for
another. Since it has all the contacts, a power tube would work.

Well, Jim, these HV TV sockets usually dont have all the contracts! He
doesnt show the bottom but often there are only 4 socket pins... which is
why I pitched all mine a while back. worthless for anything but the sets
they were designed for, which is the scourge of most TV parts...

Mark Oppat

Old October 7th 05, 05:57 PM
Mark Oppat

sure would, but that is rare to see all the pins there... I wonder if it
was an aftermarket version where you could remove the ones you didnt need???
I worked at a parts distributor in the late 70's, sold a bunch of these, but
dont recall if there were "universal". I know we had a whole rack of
different ones... and, they were pretty dusty from not selling!

Mark Oppat

Old October 8th 05, 05:59 AM
Jim Mueller

Why remove the pins you don't need? The only thing on that end of the
tube is the filament and if any of the pins are used as tie points they
better be at filament potential. The voltage is high enough to jump to
any pin that was significantly different. Since that is the case, there
should only be one pin used as a tie point, for the filament voltage
dropping resistor.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eportiz.
Then replace nospam with sacbeemail.

Old October 8th 05, 02:08 PM
Chuck Harris

Jim Mueller wrote:
Why remove the pins you don't need? The only thing on that end of the
tube is the filament and if any of the pins are used as tie points they
better be at filament potential. The voltage is high enough to jump to
any pin that was significantly different. Since that is the case, there
should only be one pin used as a tie point, for the filament voltage
dropping resistor.

Because the unused socket elements couple electrostatically with the filiment/cathode,
and make excellent collectors of dust, launchers of corona, and generators
of squeal in the audio. Besides, there isn't all that much extra power
available in the HV circuit, you want to squelch as many leakage paths
as possible.

-Chuck
Old October 8th 05, 03:10 PM
Al Schapira

This is all very interesting, but does anyone want it?

BTW, no one mentioned the threads. I assumed they were for a forced air
duct fitting. Anyone ever seen a TV like that?

-Al

Old October 8th 05, 04:14 PM
Jerry McCarty

On 8-Oct-2005, Al Schapira wrote:

BTW, no one mentioned the threads. I assumed they were for a forced air
duct fitting. Anyone ever seen a TV like that?

Nothing so glamorous as that. The threads were on there to hold a dust cap
in place.