Old October 14th 05, 10:01 AM
R-2005

Default Need updated Yaesu FTH2070 programming software/info????

Does anyone know where to get updated software for the Yaesu FTH2070
VHF/UHF radio? I have the original Windows 3.1 software, but as you can
imagine there are not many computers running that software around
anymore. I tried to connect the radio to a newer computer running
Windows 95 with the serial cable provided, but I just got an error
message and now the radio is locked into that error mode. Now all my
computers run Windows XP, so I am not sure of what my options are. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

**Please respond here, or to my email address at
(e-mail is preffered)

Thanks.

Old October 15th 05, 04:42 PM
Woody

That's an easy one...
just call Vertex for the software, they'll email a zip.
But, bear in mind that the new software is only a year newer and is still
DOS-only, so it won't change a thing for solving your problem.
Second thing... there is no Windows 3.1 software. It's DOS software. Windows
3.1 isn't really an operating system [OS], it's a simple graphical user
interface [GUI] for the basic operating system DOS [disk operating system].

The hard part..... Depends on the error... ERR1 is the
computer/cable/connection, using too fast of a computer or something is not
connected/broken. ERR2 means you've got a wrong bandsplit in the radio or
something is corrupt, like a codeplug that got shot into the radio too hard
by using a non-DOS box to program it. So, you can see that using a pentium
computer will usually net BOTH errors.

THE ONLY WAY to cure your radio is to use a NON-pentium box, [like an older
386/486 running 75MHz or less], operating TRUE DOS, not a "DOS window" from
another OS. It's the operating system that matters, and 'stacking' OS's [DOS
window from Win.xx] is what chokes up the radios.
It isn't broken, so don't panic, just find the proper computer and send the
original codeplug to it. [You read and saved the codeplug before starting,
right??]. That's another kicker for ya, radios will read on a 2Gig network
system, but try to write to it, and poof!

I just sold one of those radios and trust me, it was one seriously picky
eater.... It recovered and programmed fine on a 100MHz 486, but would
corrupt every time with a 75MHz Pentium.
Those beat-up $40 laptops you see around really do serve a purpose. ;-)
Good luck!
rb

oups.com...

Old October 17th 05, 12:41 PM
R-2005

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.