Old June 6th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Bill Turner

Default Give up CB for ham?

Old June 6th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

Old June 6th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

wrote:

[...]

One other thing........ I cut my teeth on CB back when the FCC was busting
CBers regularly for violations. I then got into Ham and Electronics. ALL
radio services "CAN" and "DO" have a place when it comes to chatting,
information exchange OR emergencies. ALL groups "can" work in unison for the
betterment of mankind if desired. Ham has it's place. CB was used mostly by
those such as "Auxiliary Police" - where not everyone had to have a "code"
much less a license to have studied for - to use radios for their purposes.
SEAT-REACT when operated properly was as useful as the Ham groups for
emergencies.
At one time, I belonged to REACT and some local Ham groups. I'm heavily
involved in Public Safety - so I got the best of both worlds. The REACT team
died and if I'm not mistaken, maybe the founding unit. Believe me - in a
HUGE disaster our fire band was SWAMPED. Ham and CB alike WERE IMPORTANT.
I had information on both coming to me - which was of enormous help. I was
getting information that was not able to be had via the Fire Radio - due to
it being so laden with traffic. I often use FRS radios now too - to avoid
tying up the Fire Frequencies here. I USE WHAT I MUST to get the job done.

clfe

An EMA Coordinator/Firefighter - line officer and former medic - self
employed in radio.

Old June 6th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
Mike Burch

I agree, I use a CB in my jeep and it works just great for that job.
The audio quality is more than adequate and the range is decent for a
jeep convoy. Also, they don't cost much and that's worth a lot!! :-)
CB's are ok with me.

Mike Burch K8MB
Apache Junction, AZ

Old June 6th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Cecil Moore

clfe wrote:
Many of you may have heard of the Quecreek Mine incident in PA some time
ago. A pipe was drilled down into the shaft. Those at the surface heard 9
taps on it, signifying there were 9 miners there. NOW - if any of those
miners KNEW code, they could have gotten a message to the surface as to what
conditions were exactly, the extent of injuries as best they could, etc.

Not by tapping. International Morse requires dashes as well
as taps (dots). There is a tap code used in prisons that will
accomplish communications under those circumstances. And since
more people have been in prison than hold an amateur radio
license, seems that it would make more sense to require knowing
the tap code than to require knowing International Morse code.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
clfe wrote:
Many of you may have heard of the Quecreek Mine incident in PA some time
ago. A pipe was drilled down into the shaft. Those at the surface heard 9
taps on it, signifying there were 9 miners there. NOW - if any of those
miners KNEW code, they could have gotten a message to the surface as to
what conditions were exactly, the extent of injuries as best they could,
etc.

Not by tapping. International Morse requires dashes as well
as taps (dots). There is a tap code used in prisons that will
accomplish communications under those circumstances. And since
more people have been in prison than hold an amateur radio
license, seems that it would make more sense to require knowing
the tap code than to require knowing International Morse code.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

DUH - I KNOW THAT - I was just saying the tapping let the people at the
surface know there were 9 people down there. MORSE CODE - "could" have
relayed much more info if one of them knew it. REREAD my message.......

I am fully aware of what "code" is, I'm an Extra myself - have been for
quite some time. I am also a VE Test Team leader.

clfe

Old June 6th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
LLOYD THE LARDASS LOSER DAVIES

I'm an inbred alabama hick and I hate CB.

Lloyd Davies N0VFP
Cow Cornholer
Nutsackkk Gobbler
Dumpster Dweller
in Athens, Alabama

wrote in message
oups.com...
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Old June 7th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Tom Ring

Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

You should go for your license. The additional privelages are quite
worthwhile. I will warn you that there are still quite a few inbred
hicks that got their ham tickets, unfortunately. The good thing is most
of them seem to be extra class, and are mostly older and will be gone
soon. It's a leftover effect of requiring Morse ability as opposed to
operating knowledge.

tom
K0TAR

Boy it's fun what a little trolling can do to my peers. I'm also an
Extra, and licensed for 29 years.

Code is worth what it can do, but has had less and less to do with the
hobby for decades. It's a great hobby within the hobby on HF, and was
the core of EME for years. It still is to some extent, but advances due
to moving up in frequency as well as computer based modes as low as 6
and 2 meters are making it something used for EME as much for fun and
stubborness as for usefullness. SSB is a very popular mode on EME now
among the big guns.

CW is dead as far as being needed. It's a great thing to have as a
skill, but is now as needed as spark.

The person who said they could key an HT to send CW was stretching it
way beyond reality. Ain't gonna happen, any more than someone will make
a spark transmitter by keying a big bunch of wire they wound in a coil
when trapped in their basement by touching it to the hot side of the
drop in their fusebox.

tom
K0TAR
Old June 7th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or someone else's who I didn't
see. In "my" example - I was saying if a MIC was broken and they knew code,
they could short out the tranmit pins - like making and breaking contact
such as a key would do - to broadcast a coded message. It "can" be done.
There is what is/was known as "Modulated CW". And, I've seen guys key an
H.T. OR Mic and do code with an "Oscillator" with the other hand - thereby
transmitting the code - from the Oscillator speaker through the mic of the
H.T or radio. Maybe that is what "they" were referring to - I don't know.

clfe