RadioBanter

-   -   If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/98643-if-you-had-use-cw-save-someones-life-would-person-die.html)

an old freind July 20th 06 10:11 PM

Morse Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

Dee Flint wrote:

I am not good at code but I can do it. You just listen to the rhythm.

your point ? if any Dee

Dee, N8UZE

RHF July 20th 06 11:12 PM

Why Should Only White Males "Know" CW ? ? ? - Women and Minorities Need CW Too ! ! !

Cecil Moore wrote:
Al Klein wrote:
You can hear the change in noise as a carrier goes on and off. It's
extremely difficult to copy high speed CW like that if the signal is
strong, but a weak signal or slower CW is just as easy to copy as
noise as it is to copy as a pure tone. T1 doesn't mean uncopyable, it
just means ragged tone.

So now amateurs and SWL's should be Morse code proficient
not only using tones but using the swishing sound made when
a BFO is not present?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

CM,

OK - Lets make "CW" 5 WPM a High School Graduation Requirement
and Start the Nation-Wide Testing of Every Child at Every Grade Level
to Ensure that Our Kids Know "CW" ! ! !

We can call it the Uniform Education "Code" {CW} Law -and-
Require that No Child Is Left Behind the "CW" Learning Curve !

Why should only White Males 'know' CW ? ? ?
Equality Demands that Women and Minorities "Know" CW Too ! ! !
- - - We need an Urgent National Federally Funded Program
to Close the "CW" Gap [.]

oops - am i ranting ? ? ? . . . oh never mind ! ~ RHF

[email protected] July 20th 06 11:38 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

This ham know CPR.

I wonder how many a retired old-timer who decided to join ham radio
stroked out instead while doing speed runs trying to get to 13/20wpm on
CW?

CW kills.

[email protected] July 22nd 06 11:38 AM

an old friend wrote:
wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

lol thank you for that

I guess saving lives is saving lives only when it uses CW. Those
firemen are way out of their league when compared to this bunch.

an old friend July 22nd 06 05:02 PM

wrote:
an old friend wrote:
wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

lol thank you for that

I guess saving lives is saving lives only when it uses CW. Those
firemen are way out of their league when compared to this bunch.

the only thing that counts to them is CW not even the people using or r
or the ARS or the nation

not even the Ham Code matter to them only CW

Al Klein July 22nd 06 06:42 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On 22 Jul 2006 09:02:12 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

not even the Ham Code matter to them only CW

Part of that code is honesty. How honest is it to memorize answers to
a test?

Cecil Moore July 22nd 06 07:08 PM

Al Klein wrote:
How honest is it to memorize answers to a test?

How honest is it to memorize Morse code? Or should
Morse code be derived from first principles?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tom July 22nd 06 08:36 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.net...
Al Klein wrote:
How honest is it to memorize answers to a test?

How honest is it to memorize Morse code? Or should
Morse code be derived from first principles?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Lets face it folks to be a well rounded Ham one should learn CW. You never
know when it will come in handy. I am not that good at it, maybe a step or
less above a Novice, but I like to fool around with it. One ought to think
about learning it in do time even though it is not required.
My 2 cents worth.

Slow Code July 22nd 06 09:14 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

wrote in
oups.com:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

:-(

This ham know CPR.

I wonder how many a retired old-timer who decided to join ham radio
stroked out instead while doing speed runs trying to get to 13/20wpm on
CW?

CW kills.

Survival of the fittest.

The fit get a ham license. All the rest get cell phones, CB, and shortwave
listening.

an_old_friend July 22nd 06 09:56 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

CW kills.

Survival of the fittest.

The fit get a ham license.

guess you have not been a hamfest lately