RadioBanter

-   -   If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/98643-if-you-had-use-cw-save-someones-life-would-person-die.html)

Dave August 7th 06 09:48 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

What MUST be true?... Alien invasion!! When? Where? How??

TimBob wrote:

In "Indepedance Day" morse code saves the world from the alien
invasion! They made a movie about it so it must be true!
Tim N7XAU
Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David G. Nagel August 7th 06 10:35 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

L. wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote in message

Ricke wrote:

Love it, get up on cb channels to do CW practice. The sheer irratation
factor is worth learning code

Rick
N4NKR

If one wishes to operate legally on 11 meters do not use CW or tone CW.
The only legal modes of communicating there is AM or SSB voice. Tone maybe
used as an alerting mechanism but not for other methods of communication.

Even though licenses are not required and most (not all) persons don't
follow the regs there, if you are caught violating the regs there you can
be refused an Amateur License. It can and does happen from time to time.

Dave WD9BDZ

This is true! As the man said, tho most don't follow them - they DO exist.
They WILL be enforced - if so desired. Actually, an infraction of any radio
rule can deem you ineligible for not only an Amateur Licence but also any
other license from the FCC - even GROL. IF you hold a GROL and do something
stupid with it, it can cause your "amateur" license to be stripped.
Ignorance is no excuse. When you sign the forms - and your license(s) - you
agree to abide by the R/Rs.

Apparently if you have been convicted of a felony anything you can loose
your license also.

Dave WD9BDZ

David G. Nagel August 7th 06 10:37 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

If I recall correctly the IDF officer said the US was communicating in
"old fashioned morse code".

Dave N

L. August 7th 06 10:46 PM

Ricke wrote:

[...]

You're correct - and just a few days ago - there was a case of a "licensed"
individual who "allegedly" molested children and was convicted - the FCC was
debating renewing his license. So, it appears they take a dim view on
"criminals" being "license" holders. I guess they feel if you can't obey the
law of the land, why would you obey their rules and regulations! I wonder if
they take into account any one who's been convicted and had "successful"
rehab? That would be interesting to know.

L.

L. August 7th 06 10:51 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

If I recall correctly the IDF officer said the US was communicating in
"old fashioned morse code".

Dave N

I once seen a copy of the "code" used by other countries. There were
"some" - if not many differences. I also seen a copy of "supposedly" the old
west code - used .......... Man, what a difference - IF ALL WERE TRUE - that
is........ I'm only reporting what I seen, can't say for sure if true or
not. It was interesting to say the least.

Maybe - and I"m going on a limb here to guess - the "differences" in the
other countries code - was short hand much like our Q signals.

L.

Al Klein August 7th 06 11:05 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On 6 Aug 2006 00:54:48 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

nope handihams has no respect for LD's at all

There's a difference between lack of ability and lack of desire. The
latter is just plain laziness.

Slow Code August 8th 06 12:28 AM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"Ricke" wrote in
oups.com:

Love it, get up on cb channels to do CW practice. The sheer irratation
factor is worth learning code

Rick
N4NKR

And some probably hear it and send back. the CB-Hams, A.K.A. Phonies.

Radio Buff August 8th 06 12:28 AM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"TimBob" wrote in
oups.com:

In "Indepedance Day" morse code saves the world from the alien
invasion! They made a movie about it so it must be true!
Tim N7XAU

That movie was hokey. An alien invasion force with thousands of ships in
orbit would need to use our satellites to communicate with each other.

Yah, right.

Sc

Slow Code August 8th 06 12:28 AM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"David G. Nagel" wrote in
:

Ricke wrote:

[...]

That would explain why there are a lot of felons on CB then. You can hear
alot of them on 27.025 MHz.

SC

David G. Nagel August 8th 06 12:40 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

Morse code as used by Western Union (when they did code) is different
from International Morse code as used by radio operators. Not very
different but different.

DN