Old August 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:12:59 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

L. wrote:
Laziness gets you no where - fast.

Laziness allows one to achieve a goal by the most efficient
route. Some famous German military leader said he would
lots rather have brilliant and lazy officers than ambitious
and stupid ones.

As I recall, he was also known as one of the most idiotic strategists
the species has ever produced. His "fame" didn't stop him from being
the almost single-handed reason his country lost its big war, did it?

I personally would rather see brilliant
and lazy amateur radio operators than ambitious and stupid
ones hanging on for dear life to an obsolete testing
requirement.

Being both intelligent and ambitious doesn't appear on your radar?
Old August 12th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 12 Aug 2006 10:10:08 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
On 11 Aug 2006 18:51:28 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:

I think I know what I'm claiming a little better than you do.

not likely

Very juvenile of you.

exactly on point

Your claim to know what I'm thinking better than I do? Only if your
age is a single digit.

your beef has nothing to do with the tests it is to do with end of the
Hazing ritual that is a bout to occour

There's a hazing rule in ham radio? Since when?

sure there is it is called Morse Code testing

You don't win points by redefining words, you just make yourself look
desperate.
Old August 12th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:45:35 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Showing that you DON'T know the difference.

I personally don't care why the unit of resistance
is named the ohm.

Which has nothing to do with the discussion.

I do know the difference but the point is that I do not
*need* to know the history behind that particular choice.

Nor does knowing the history or whether you know the history have
anything to do with it.

it simply shows some things are best memorized is all

Old August 12th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
On 12 Aug 2006 10:10:55 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

at some level all you can do a merorize

The discussion isn't about WHETHER you memorize, it's about WHAT you
memorize.

that is a chnge in tune

oncce you accpet that much of the testing involves memizztion the
question then comes down to where is your beef?
if it is that today we then to use multiguess questions pools verus
short answer of bygone day you likely out of luck the extra cost is not
going to be supported within the present system

I agree short answer would be an improvement over multible guess but
teks you issue up with other don't imply that the ams that have taken
and passed the required tetst have not done what is required

you tread awfully close to libel there AL ask an lawyer if you don't
believe me

Old August 12th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:41:33 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
There's a difference between memorizing a formula or method and memorizing
specific answers to specific questions. The former is called learning, and
can be applied to many situations. The latter is called laziness, and
teaches nothing that can be used for any other purpose.

That is just hair-splitting.

The same hair splitting as the difference between stealing money and
earning it - they're both methods of obtaining it.

again you tread close to libel and flatout insaity

But, since you don't know the difference between "learning" and
"memorizing", nor which subjects fall into which category, you
probably can't see the parallel.

and again

Old August 13th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

L. wrote:
I don't care what "YOUR"
dictionary shows. There are some out there for example which show the word
COCK for example - as a type of Bird OR the preparing of a rifle or gun for
firing and leave it at that - while a "few" others will show the "Slang"
term used - as many do - meaning sexual organ. SO - ALL DICTIONARYS ARE NOT
CREATED EQUAL.

From my dictionary: "cock - 5. Slang (vulgar) a. penis. b. sexual
relations with a man."

Seems my 2230 page unabridged dictionary covers slang very well but
does not have a slang definition for "memorize". Please try again.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 13th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

L. wrote:
I have a ton of books in my reach too - so whats your point?

If you are ambitious enough to already possess the knowledge,
you don't need the books. I am too lazy to try to possess all
knowledge so I need the books. Not having to memorize all
knowledge frees up my mind for creative thought.

And as for "Hitler" claiming that - as you said about his admiration for a
brilliant lazy man - eh......... last I heard - the man was a fruit cake,
lost the war, cost thousands of lives, innocent ones at that - and ended up
committing suicide - WHAT A LOSER. And I would want to follow his
examples/principles - why?

The statements that I quoted were from a WWI German military
leader probably uttered while Hitler was still a private or
corporal. Why do you have to try to misrepresent what I said?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 13th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
Since frequency assignments aren't theory, your question is both
irrelevant and incompetent.

So the questions on my Extra exam were irrelevant?
In that, I tend to agree with you. I would like to
see one and only one entry level amateur radio exam
leading to one brotherhood of amateur radio operators
devoid of the jealousy, pecking order, and back-biting
apparent in your postings and others.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 13th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
But, since you don't know the difference between "learning" and
"memorizing", nor which subjects fall into which category, you
probably can't see the parallel.

Learning is impossible without memorizing. You are
simply ignorant of the definition of the words you
are using. Is English your second language? Again,
from Websters: "memorize - to commit to memory"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 13th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
L. L. is offline

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
L. wrote:
I don't care what "YOUR" dictionary shows. There are some out there for
example which show the word COCK for example - as a type of Bird OR the
preparing of a rifle or gun for firing and leave it at that - while a
"few" others will show the "Slang" term used - as many do - meaning
sexual organ. SO - ALL DICTIONARYS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL.

From my dictionary: "cock - 5. Slang (vulgar) a. penis. b. sexual
relations with a man."

Seems my 2230 page unabridged dictionary covers slang very well but
does not have a slang definition for "memorize". Please try again.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I don't care what your dictionary says. PEOPLE MISUSE words ALL the time -
and definately in this case. "I" again STATE - "I" DID NOT START the "hair
splitting" argument. I was merely trying to rationalize where BOTH of you
were coming from and sadly neither of you know yourselves. AGAIN I SAY -
THIS WHOLE FREAKING ARGUMENT IS - STUPID.

L.