Old August 22nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

From: an old friend on Mon, Aug 21 2006 3:16 pm

From: on Sun, Aug 20 2006 2:57 pm
If the league pushes the morse testing issue too hard, it will become
obvious to the 25% that are members.

I don't think so. The Amateur Radiotelegraphy Society is very
firmly SET in their ideas of keeping the "heritage" and
"tradition" of being a living museum of archaic radio. Those
firm believers and worshippers at the Church of St. Hiram are
disciples and they haven't had their last supper yet.

I have no objection to them trying to prservs thier mode the ARS is big
enough even for unproductive thing

It's "minority rule" when ARRL lobbies for preservation of
morse code test for any amateur radio license class. The
ARRL membership is slightly less than a quarter of all US
amateur radio licensees.

Don't know if you've heard yet, but the ARRL and robesin announced that
MARS and TSA have an agreement for armageddon communications.

Heh heh, I wouldn't doubt it... :-)

[via "giant meteor bounce?" ... off the earth, that is? :-) ]

I thought Robesin had put on his (invisible) USMC uniform and
was busy pounding brass with the USCG offshore from Beirut to
evacuate US civilians? :-)

now that remark I must take you to task for

the last thing we want to sugest that robeson might wear is something
invisible now that image IS a sexauly distrubing one

Ahem...my reference was the old fairy tale, "The Emperor's New
Clothes." :-)

That's the one where a full-of-himself ruler ordered some new
clothes and the tailor buttered him up (while not sewing any
new clothes) so much that the Emperor bought into this pandering
to his ego and appeared in public with his "new clothes" (he was
naked). Needless to say, the public laughed and laughed at this
ridiculous spectacle. :-)

Robeson has been all full of himself in here about his alleged
"USMC service" yet he has presented zero-point-zero evidence
from anyone else (or any legitimate agency) that he ever
served on active USMC duty for any of his claimed "18 years."

Even though he NOW thinks of himself AS the amateur radio
service personified (anything against him is somehow against
ALL radio amateurs), he is still parodying the "Emperor."

Old August 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

Some old time ham in the area needs to step in and show the scouts
how ham
radio and CW can save lives and help communities in emergencies.

=====================================

In these days of mobile telephones, etc., morse code just gets in the
way of emergencies.

But there's nothing to prevent people who appreciate and love the
language of Morse, the way it sings, its universality, its beauty,
from continuing to use it way into the future.

It is the beauty of Morse, in plain English, never mind the
abbreviations, which boy scouts and others who show an interest should
be taught to appreciate.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old August 22nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

It was a CQD actually....
but the point is,
the ham immediately alerted the Frankfurt, Olympic, Carpathia, et al and
told them to go save lives! Being simple Marconists however; they all said
'no' so the ham
grabbed his portable radio trunk, strapped a J-38 to his leg, jumped into
his skiff and madly paddled 46 hours straight out to the stricken ship, all
the while tapping
out rescue coordination efforts with his elbow, and.... wait... I forget,
where does it go from there?

rb

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

uhhhh..... good point. Not sure what your point applies to... but OK, we all
agree that radio is a useful invention.
What were we talking about again?

an old friend wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

how many life were saved thereby the Carpathia wheard the call and
arrived to save some folks what role did the ARS playing in saving even
one life that sorry day?

We aren't talking about failure to receive a CW SOS. Those ships that
responded did so after receiving word of the sinking by radio. They saved
many lives from the lifeboats which would otherwise have been lost to the
cold.

Dave N

Old August 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

The Titanic knew their coordinates.... didn't slow the influx of H20....
The responding ships had radios too... didn't turn their props any
faster....

Answer to the question.... there was no system then.
CW can punch through if there is a human on the other end, where GPS/packet
says 'no signal'....
GPS is faster, where CW takes longer....
so one is obsolete, the other inferior.

rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.com...
Dave wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Yep!! It happened once!

If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?
Which system is presently inferior and virtually obsolete?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Good Lord, are you saying that a 1 jigawatt transmitter and an Infinity
times Pi speed ham operator couldn't telepathically float a swamped ship,
and thwart hypothermia of people in the water???
How crass.

Can you tell I'm off today and quite bored? LOL
rb

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

David G. Nagel wrote:

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Yep!! It happened once!

If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?
Which system is presently inferior and virtually obsolete?

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

RE Titanic:

The same result would have happened. The ship hit an iceberg in poor
visibility. I don't think icebergs carry GPS transponders these days.

Now, the Titanic's GPS; does it have transponder capability? The older GPS
units do not. Anyway, after the crew slipped by the iceberg that ripped it
open, the radio op gets on the air and reports "SOS" or equivalent. The
nearest ships respond. Under conditions similar to 1914{?} the Titanic
still sinks. Many people still die. But, now we know to 20 feet exactly
where the ship was when it sank.

GPS won't make a difference. Neither will CW today.

I still enjoy CW.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Hey, if an alien force ever invades our planet and demands that we pass a
40wpm code test or they will annihilate the planet, then yes, it would!
Never say never.

rb

ps:
Yeah, all is see on these groups is stupidity... might as well enjoy it.
:-)
no offense to the OP's here.... just making a generalized statement about
this whole thread and others like it.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...
Dave wrote:
C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

.....and ammo, for control of rabid cw ops who finally figure out there's no
one listening and come to steal said food and water....

rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Slow Code wrote:
With an attitude like that it probably won't. Better keep a microphone
handy.

Actually, what I keep handy is food and water.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 22nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Wow.... so you could almost say the reason there was such a disaster
[notwithstanding the time period and simple circumstance] is that all these
radio operators [and companies] were acting like a bunch of egotistical
morons, each thinking their way to be better, and that most
vessels communications, wireless ops and policies were almost..............
amateur........... in nature?

LOL...
rb

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
clfe wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
It was before the Titanic hit the iceberg that the Titanic
CW operator told the Californian CW operator to get off the
air. He considered his normal Titanic CW message traffic to
have priority over any CW traffic that the Californian might
need to pass. Turns out the Californian's CW operator was
the only person in the world who could have saved the life
of the Titanic's CW operator.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

In that case then - I stand corrected, I was unaware of that.

It's totaly untrue. The Californian's radio operator ignored the
Titanic's distress signals because the Titanic was a Marconi ship and
the Californian was a Telefunken ship. The operators were not allowed to
communicate with the competing company's operators under any
circumstances under penalty of being put off the ship at first landing,
with no hope of getting home or being hired by the other company.

I recently blogged about it:

http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/2006/06/22/

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice:
1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Old August 22nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

And I say I agree with the problem that mentioned for the cw being needed
and life saving station for the pc with no code.
It'll never work and if it does it will only be working a pc and if that is
not the person then it is not the same
so you can say it didn't work anyway because it wasn't a person that needed
it.
So there.
rb