Old August 29th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Woody wrote:
So you guys got sidetracked and missed the CW call so both your guys died.
You are the weakest link.
Goodbye.
rb

wrote in message
oups.com...
rom: on Thurs, Aug 24 2006 6:39 pm

"Sidetracked?!?" :-)

I put this message into the Captain ARRL Superpower Decryption
machine and the machine broke down.

Last I looked (which was yesterday) there were NO Public Safety
radio services which used "CW" for either "life-saving" or distress
calls. The USCG doesn't monitor the OLD 500 KHz international
maritime distress and safety frequency any more. International
Civil Aviation Organization long ago stopped any need for carrying
"CW"-proficient air crew on over-ocean flights.

This "vital need" of maintaining a "pool of trained (morsemen)
operators" in the mighty amateur radio (militia?) ranks is a
wigment of olde-tyme morsemen's imagination.

In truth, I haven't checked out the Civil Air Patrol. Maybe they
have some kind of "need" for morsemen even though they use
121.5 MHz for emergencies just like all the CIVIL airways do.
[transponder squawk to 77 or 7700 if that is installed; 243 MHz
if a REAL military aircraft]

We'll have to see what the "pilot in command" of a TN CAP
two-seater has to say on that...if he isn't "busy" with his
"life-saving air patrols." :-)