Old July 22nd 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:45:57 -0400, "ohioradioham"
wrote:

Blow Code - your ideas will damn amateur radio and kill it.

That's evidently why the number of hams kept decreasing until code was
eliminated, right?

Oh, wait a minute - the numbers didn't START decreasing until code was
eliminated.

Forcing CW onto newcomers will only turn them away
from amateur radio since CW is seen by outsiders as old-fashioned and
out-of-date. This is the 21st Century and people do not want to be forced
to learn and use and communication method developed in the 19th Century.

People today don't want to be forced to learn - whether it's CW, or
how to build a trivial little interface between a transceiver (modern
invention) and a computer (another modern invention), or some antenna
theory. Just hand them a license and a radio and they want to be on
the air.

Grow up and face reality.

Reality is that ham radio is turning into a multi-band CB - just buy a
radio and get on the air without actually knowing how it works or how
to use it.
Old July 22nd 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Old July 22nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Old July 22nd 06, 10:04 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Old July 24th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

Blow Code - your ideas will damn amateur radio and kill it.

That's evidently why the number of hams kept decreasing until code was
eliminated, right?

The drop would have been far worse than it is now had the CW testing
speed not been reduced.

Oh, wait a minute - the numbers didn't START decreasing until code was
eliminated.

Sorry Al, but the drop of CW came around the explosion of the Internet.
Young people see our hobby as outdated and the CW testing requirement
reinforces that. What to see a huge drop in licenses? Bring back CW
testing for all licenses and raise the speeds again. There will be
hardly any new licenses issued if someone made such a gross and stupid
error in judgement.

Forcing CW onto newcomers will only turn them away
from amateur radio since CW is seen by outsiders as old-fashioned and
out-of-date. This is the 21st Century and people do not want to be forced
to learn and use and communication method developed in the 19th Century.

People today don't want to be forced to learn - whether it's CW, or
how to build a trivial little interface between a transceiver (modern
invention) and a computer (another modern invention), or some antenna
theory. Just hand them a license and a radio and they want to be on
the air.

Grow up and face reality.

Reality is that ham radio is turning into a multi-band CB - just buy a
radio and get on the air without actually knowing how it works or how
to use it.

CW testing has nothing to do with knowing how the radio works or how it
operates. Thanks for reinforcing some of my previous positions.

The ham bands were filled with idiots when we had all that CW testing.
CW testing has never kept out the idiots and never will.

Besides, since the US is a democracy, the ham bands will turn into
whatever we let it turn into because the majority rules and CW freaks
like yourself are increasingly in the minority.

Old July 25th 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:49:35 -0400, "J. D. B."
wrote:

Young people see our hobby as outdated and the CW testing requirement
reinforces that. What to see a huge drop in licenses? Bring back CW
testing for all licenses and raise the speeds again. There will be
hardly any new licenses issued if someone made such a gross and stupid
error in judgement.

The drop started MANY years before CW was dropped. Want to increase
the number of hams? Eliminate cellular phones (a lot of people got on
the air to have communications in the car) and the internet - since
those are two of the prime causes of lack of interest in ham radio
today.

CW testing has nothing to do with knowing how the radio works or how it
operates.

But many of the same people who want to eliminate CW also want to
eliminate any tests that would really test for knowledge. It's not CW
they want to eliminate, it's effort. You can cheat on written tests
but, since you can't cheat much on CW (although some have), they want
it eliminated. Not just kept for one class of license. What's wrong
with code-free HF, but an additional class with, say, a 20wpm CW test?
It would have nothing to do with the number of people becoming hams.
But those who are opposed to CW testing are opposed to ALL CW testing.
Getting on the air - with the highest class license available is, to
them, their right.

It's like people who are adamantly opposed to having driver's licenses
revoked because "driving is a right".

Sorry, but getting on the public airwaves is not a right.

Besides, since the US is a democracy, the ham bands will turn into
whatever we let it turn into because the majority rules

Democracy is a form of government that protects the minority from the
excesses of the majority - the majority doesn't need protection from
itself.
Old July 25th 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

....Would any of you say that Heathkit, of Benton Harbour, Michigan, maybe
perpetuated the glamour within the ham hobby of the recent past, or did the
glamour of the ham hobby past perpetuate Heathkit until there was no more
glamour?

Jack

wrote:

[...]

You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test. Slow Code Scanner 119 June 9th 07 01:19 AM
Canada want to drop the code! Hamguy Swap 65 May 5th 05 02:31 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine Shortwave 185 January 6th 04 06:05 PM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine General 206 January 6th 04 01:12 PM