Old February 9th 13, 02:51 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
On 2/8/2013 8:24 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:

One other antenna - if you had the money and the real estate would be
the High Power - Off Center Fed Dipole - which operates practically
everywhere between 440 MHz and 80 meters - with the exception of 15 and
30 meters.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/

If you believe that an antenna will operate effectively from 80m to
70cm you are even more ignorant than I previously thought.

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR
I am going to explain it, but only once.
If you talk to the owner of that web site, he will tell you that the designer of the particular model of off center fed dipole that I am talking about is K3CC.
Again, if you call him on the phone, he will explain to you that K3CC holds 27 US patents and is a lot more intelligent then you will ever be.

A off center fed dipole is not a balanced antenna, but exhibits some properities not found in a regular old dipole.

Reguardless of it's length - you can always find someplace where it is resonant. Its SWR is flat as a board on most bands and is below 2:1 most everywhere else with the exception of 15 and 30 meters........

The neatest thing I ever heard was from a old Motorola Technician who told me two important things.
First was that God gave us two ears and only one mouth.
That means we should listen twice as much as we should speak.

Second was that when a manufacturer makes a radio, they make the most important knob the largest knob - hence the tuning knob is the largest knob on the radio.
If you don't like what you hear - you turn the knob.

I was under the impression that this person was a HAM and wanted to talk as well as listen.
Then we got into a discussion about scanners.
Now I am confused.

With any type of communications - if a pager is suspect and it interferes with amateur radio, you can either A - turn the operator of the pager into the FCC for interfering with amateur radio communications - good luck, or you can add filtering.

Even some two meter repeaters operates illegally, because their signals splatter all over other peoples repeaters.. We need to remember that repeaters are not built and owned by the government or industry, but by regular old ham radio operators like you and me.

As far as analog scanners goes, you sure can't beat a Uniden 890XLT...
Even unmodded, it should hold 200 channels, and has a very sensitive receive.

Moving up to a dedicated transceiver - that can be used as a all band scanner, you could purchase a Yaesu 8900 which does everything from 10 meters to 800 MHz.... At about $450 new, and with a slight modification - resistor removal, will transmit 28 - 29 Mhz, 50 - 54 MHz, 140 - 148 Mhz, 430 - 460 Mhz. and will listen everywhere else.

If you don't have a ham license, then just put the microphone away and listen.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Last edited by Channel Jumper : February 11th 13 at 02:08 PM