Old July 29th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Help with Antenna

i just picked up a Midland radio 75-822 portable cb. it has the noaa
stations too. i am looking for a hi gain ruber ducky bnc antenna. can anyone
suggest one?

Old July 29th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:13:52 GMT, "Kryptoknight"
wrote:

i just picked up a Midland radio 75-822 portable cb. it has the noaa
stations too. i am looking for a hi gain ruber ducky bnc antenna. can anyone
suggest one?

A high gain rubber ducky is an oxymoron.

Old July 29th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Kryptoknight wrote:

i just picked up a Midland radio 75-822 portable cb. it has the noaa
stations too. i am looking for a hi gain ruber ducky bnc antenna. can anyone
suggest one?

High gain generally relates to large size.

"Rubber Ducky" antennas are low gain compromises.

There is no such animal as "High Gain Rubber Ducky" [pun intended]

Old July 29th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

i know i know. the factory one is a dual band 10" antenna (cb and noaa). i'm
looking for the ~27MHz cb band antenna that is approx 12-18" long. this
would have better gain than what i have now, but obviously not like a 1/4 or
1/2 wave antenna.

any suggestions on through-glass mini "loaded" cb antenna.

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 29th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

i know the through-glass antenna suck balls, but i did not want to install a
huge whip.

i have a 2006 tacoma with tonneau cover. i would do a hard mount on my roof
as long as the antenna was one of those thin stainless types. any
suggestions (model / part #'s)?

thanks

"Kryptoknight" wrote in message
i know i know. the factory one is a dual band 10" antenna (cb and noaa).
i'm looking for the ~27MHz cb band antenna that is approx 12-18" long. this
would have better gain than what i have now, but obviously not like a 1/4
or 1/2 wave antenna.

any suggestions on through-glass mini "loaded" cb antenna.

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 29th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:24:33 GMT, "Kryptoknight"
wrote:

i know i know. the factory one is a dual band 10" antenna (cb and noaa). i'm
looking for the ~27MHz cb band antenna that is approx 12-18" long. this
would have better gain than what i have now, but obviously not like a 1/4 or
1/2 wave antenna.

any suggestions on through-glass mini "loaded" cb antenna.

Hi OM,

The difference between an infinitesimal antenna and a quarterwave
antenna is only 5%. However, to get the small antenna to resonate
brings far more opportunity for loss. 12-18" long is not likely to
bring you any advantage but carefree dreams unless you can strangle
the loss.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 30th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

The difference between an infinitesimal antenna and a quarterwave
antenna is only 5%. However, to get the small antenna to resonate
brings far more opportunity for loss. 12-18" long is not likely to
bring you any advantage but carefree dreams unless you can strangle
the loss.

To clarify, that 5% is only for a lossless antenna. When the antenna
becomes very short, you also take a beating in conductor loss, since the
currents get enormous, so the antenna itself becomes inefficient. And of
course if the antenna depends on current through the ground, you take a
beating there for the same reason. So add conductor and possibly ground
loss to the inevitable loss in the matching network which must also deal
with high current and/or high voltage.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old July 30th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Kryptoknight wrote:
so there is no better ducky antenna than the one that came with this cb ??

I made field strength measurements between the
abomination that came with my DJ-580 and a
Comet CH72S both equipped with a tiger tail.
I don't remember the numbers, but the Comet
won by a lot.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Kryptoknight wrote:
so there is no better ducky antenna than the one that came with this cb ??

any suggestions on a roof mounted thin stainless whip??

Hello!

I was looking into this problem recently too. For the antenna, search
on radioshacks website for "102". You'll find their 102" stainless
antenna. They have an inventory locator on the website which will tell
you which radioshack has it in stock (supposedly). If you have a non
corporate radio shack (they're run semi-independent, and have their own
stuff as well as radio shack stuff), they're more likely to carry the
102" even if the website says they don't have them. CALL AHEAD, it
seems like they just lose their inventory somewhere, and can't find
them when it says they have them (How you lose something that's 9 feet
long, i have NO idea).

Good luck on a roof mount. I've seen some roofmounts, and I believe
some homemade ones. Kinda scary looking. I'm always concerned with the
flex on the sheet metal. My nissan truck roof is tooo thin to mount a
big whip on without a huge supporting washer (like 8 inches+).

You're not really going to find just a thin metal wire antenna that's
not 102". Everything shorter than that is going to have a coil. I also
strongly suggest checking out your local truck stop.

Radio shack mostly only sells a ball mount (the one they have
supposedly sucks, since it doesn't have the 'teeth' to hold the ball in
place well when you attack it, but ball types are one of the
strongest!'. They also have mirror mounts. Which are only really useful
if you have semi mirrors that are held on by metal poles. Or I guess if
you have a roof rack (but then you'd need to get this ground well!).

A compromise that I made is an under hood mount. It's kinda like an L
bracket, so you open your hood, and right under the lip (on your car,
not the hood) you can screw in the mount, These types allow you to have
all the screws hidden below the hood, and the mount sticks up betwteen
the hood crack. Then you can run a wire from this, under your hood, and
through your firewall (usually you have rubber gromets for other wires
already going through your firewall).

The hood mounts are probably not strong enough for a 102" whip.

The other option is magnet mount, with the four 6" magnets. They sell
them online for like 30 or 40$. Those will hold anything. Only problem
with magnet mounts is that they're more likely to pick up vehicle RFI
noise! I picked up my blower motor for my AC, went away the minute I
screwed the antenna into my sheet metal.

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM