Old August 3rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Rule of Thumb for coax chokes

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
But Cecil, maximum resistance, maximum reactance and maximum

impedance
all occur at the same resonant frequency.

Reg, if you would learn the Smith Chart, you would know
that is not true. :-) At self-resonance, the inductive
reactance cancels the capacitive reactance leaving a
pure resistance usually of a few thousand ohms. But I
agree with you that a purely resistive self-resonant
choke is not a bad thing.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

======================================

Cec, I don't need a Smith Chart, and neither does anybody else, to
work out the resistance at resonance.

I don't think you quite know what you are doing with elementary
circuit analysis. The Smith Chart is giving you the wrong answer. The
resistance of a choke at HF at self resonance is in the order of a
megohm or more, not just a few thousand ohms.

By the way, what is the diameter and winding length of a USA pop
bottle.
----
Reg.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Reg Edwards wrote:
The
resistance of a choke at HF at self resonance is in the order of a
megohm or more, not just a few thousand ohms.

I just guessed at it, Reg, based on my measurements of
toroidal chokes and W2DU baluns.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 3rd 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Reg Edwards wrote:
By the way, what is the diameter and winding length of a USA pop
bottle.

The diameter of a 2 liter bottle is 4 inches. The Bible
says the ratio of circumference to diameter of a circle
is 3. :-) The length of the bottle is about a foot.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 3rd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The diameter of a 2 liter bottle is 4 inches. The Bible
says the ratio of circumference to diameter of a circle
is 3. :-) The length of the bottle is about a foot.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Before publishing your rules of thumb you can check your reasoning by
using program SELFRES3. Download from website below.

I must admit, rules of thumb are quite adequate for coaxial chokes.
Almost anything will work. Very often things will work quite well
without a choke at all. ;o)
-----
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Old August 3rd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 03:37:05 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

I must admit, rules of thumb are quite adequate for coaxial chokes.
Almost anything will work. Very often things will work quite well
without a choke at all. ;o)

But the Rule Of Thumb to avoid (presumably) parallel resonance of the
choke for the reasons given is ROT.

Owen

Old August 3rd 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I must admit, rules of thumb are quite adequate for coaxial chokes.
Almost anything will work. Very often things will work quite well
without a choke at all. ;o)

But the Rule Of Thumb to avoid (presumably) parallel resonance of the
choke for the reasons given is ROT.

Wouldn't the resonant circulating currents be at their
highest magnitudes at the parallel resonant point and
therefore the I^2*R losses in the coil be greater at
that frequency than on either side of self-resonance?
(I explained that avoiding self resonance is only a
personal preference.)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 3rd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:17:04 GMT, "Tom Donaly"
wrote:

But then you have to drink 2 liters of wet, sticky, gooey, sickeningly
sweet, soda pop.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Or look in the nearest garbage can or dumpster. Of course, there are
two liter bottles of water as well.

--
73 for now
Buck
Old August 3rd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tom Donaly wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:

2 liter pop bottles are in abundance in the US. If a coil
form is used for a coax choke, that's the most likely.

But then you have to drink 2 liters of wet, sticky, gooey, sickeningly
sweet, soda pop.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

We get 'sparkling water' in 2l bottles because we like the fizzy feel to
our beverages. They also have club soda and soda water in 2l bottles.

Keep cool,
Galen, W8LNA
Old August 3rd 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
But the Rule Of Thumb to avoid (presumably) parallel resonance of the
choke for the reasons given is ROT.

The self-resonance to be avoided is 1/2WL self-resonance,
e.g. 20 turns on 10m. I apologize for confusing the two
self-resonant concepts.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old August 3rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

I must admit, rules of thumb are quite adequate for coaxial chokes.
Almost anything will work. Very often things will work quite well
without a choke at all. ;o)

But the Rule Of Thumb to avoid (presumably) parallel resonance of the
choke for the reasons given is ROT.

Wouldn't the resonant circulating currents be at their
highest magnitudes at the parallel resonant point and
therefore the I^2*R losses in the coil be greater at
that frequency than on either side of self-resonance?
(I explained that avoiding self resonance is only a
personal preference.)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Hi Cecil

Doesnt the increase of impedance of the parallel resonant "balun"
discourage current from flowing into it? I considered that the source
impedance is constant and the "balun" impedance rises as resonance is
approached.
I figured the circulating current would be Q times the current thru it,
but the current thru it drops as its impedance rises.

If I'm wrong, I've been lucky so far.

Jerry

FCC WRC-03 Amateur Rule Changes Now in Effect [email protected] Policy 3 May 9th 06 04:55 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
The Pickett N-16 ES Slide Rule John Savard Homebrew 0 January 13th 04 03:49 AM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM