Old August 31st 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Reg Edwards (G4FGQ)

I would like a complete copy of the G4FGQ site. There is still much I
can learn from Reg.

I believe we have run the HTTRACK site over bandwidth already. I am
afraid if we all try to download a copy from Reg's site we will over
run it as well. I can also pass it along or place it up as a down load
on my site.

I will miss Reg.

de W8CCW John....

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:16:08 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:40:53 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

************** repeated post from another thread *********************
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:52:52 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:12:20 -0700, Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:17:44 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

I hope it's not true about Reg. That would be a huge loss. Perhaps
somebody will archive his website.

Hi Jim,

The announcement came from his account, and his computer.

I've archived his site, but for others who wish to do the same, the
best tool for that purpose can be found at:
http://www.httrack.com

This is a website harvesting robot that will replicate an entire
website into the directory of your choice (changing links so that you
can browse it on your system).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, I've just reviewed the url above, and found that I don't know how to
use it to download Reg's web page. I see that you've already downloaded it, so
could I download it from your copy?

Walt, W2DU

Hi Walt,

The paths are tied intimately to my file system hierarchy (which is
pretty deep). Rather, I will give you a walk-thru. In spite of the
apparent complexity (it is a technician's tool), it is quite simple to
use with only two or three particulars to satisfy:
1. As directed on the front page, press the NEXT button;
2. On the next page for Project Name, enter Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
3. Below that (skip the category), click the ellipses button to open
a storage path and select an existing folder the website will be
stored here in a folder named Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
4. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;
5. leave the ACTION selection at "Download web site(s)";
6. past Reggie's top level page,
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp, into the Web Addresses text
box;
7. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;
8. At the next page, Press the FINISH button at the bottom.

This will start the robots harvesting with a view of them on a new
page that shows each robot in its own thread - about half a dozen of
them running simultaneously. Depending on the load at the server, the
entire process should take 5 minutes or so at T1 speeds. The total
download is 4.33MB.

The robot activity screen will disappear at the end of the harvesting.

I can zip up a copy (sorry Reg) and mail it for those who want a copy
that is located at the drive root (I did this down load again to
confirm the steps described above).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old August 31st 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Walt,

The url was for cut and paste into HTTRACK's text window. This is for
the robots to use as their top level address to drill-down into the
website. No browsers need be open to perform this.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, we just returned from eating out, the reason for the delay in
continuing the attempt to download Reg's web page. Anyway, using the url you
gave I cannot find any page to enter Reg's web address for downloading, also no
place for entering a Project Name. Are you getting a different screen than I
with that url? What am I doing wrong?

Walt
Old August 31st 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ml wrote:

wrote:

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

Gawd, Seems ALL the good guys are leaveing us.
W8JK, and now, Reg, may they be discussing the
Old August 31st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
John Ferrell wrote:

I would like a complete copy of the G4FGQ site. There is still much I
can learn from Reg.

I believe we have run the HTTRACK site over bandwidth already. I am
afraid if we all try to download a copy from Reg's site we will over
run it as well. I can also pass it along or place it up as a down load
on my site.

I've mirrored the site at

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/hamradio/g4fgq/

and will keep it there for a while, at least.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old August 31st 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:28:00 -0400, Walter Maxwell wrote:

Hi Walt,

The url was for cut and paste into HTTRACK's text window. This is for
the robots to use as their top level address to drill-down into the
website. No browsers need be open to perform this.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, we just returned from eating out, the reason for the delay in
continuing the attempt to download Reg's web page. Anyway, using the url you
gave I cannot find any page to enter Reg's web address for downloading, also no
place for entering a Project Name. Are you getting a different screen than I
with that url? What am I doing wrong?

Walt

Richard, the various screens that come up using the url you gave are totally
unfriendly to a user trying to enter anything to start a download. Like other
programs, they say 'you can do this...,etc,' but they allow no entry. Am I using
an incorrect url?

Walt

Old August 31st 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message

Hi Walt,

The url was for cut and paste into HTTRACK's text window. This is for
the robots to use as their top level address to drill-down into the
website. No browsers need be open to perform this.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, we just returned from eating out, the reason for the delay in
continuing the attempt to download Reg's web page. Anyway, using the url
you
gave I cannot find any page to enter Reg's web address for downloading,
also no
place for entering a Project Name. Are you getting a different screen than
with that url? What am I doing wrong?

Walt

Walt are you running the program called Httrack ? This is a special program
that lets you download a web site to your computer so you can look at it at
any time or do other things with it. I think it is a free download. Just
do a Google search for it.

YOu start the program. Then click near the bottom where it says NEXT.
Type in anything for the project name. Click next. In the blank white spece
under where it says Web AddressURL) type in the web address you want to
download. In this case http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/
Then NEXT. Then Finish.

From there it should start downloading the web site and place it in the
directory that shows up a few screens back , usually c:\my web sites.

Old August 31st 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:01:25 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

Richard, the various screens that come up using the url you gave are totally
unfriendly to a user trying to enter anything to start a download. Like other
programs, they say 'you can do this...,etc,' but they allow no entry. Am I using
an incorrect url?

Hi Walt,

I thought you had downloaded the utility HTTRACK, but it sounds like
you were trying to use their website to do the job. No, you first
have to get the tool to go and get Reggie's work:

Go to the download page at:
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html
in the column marked "Choose file to download" select the first item
below that heading called "httrack-3.40-2.exe". Run this installer,
start the program, AND THEN follow my instructions already provided.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 31st 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Richard, the various screens that come up using the url you gave are totally
unfriendly to a user trying to enter anything to start a download. Like other
programs, they say 'you can do this...,etc,' but they allow no entry. Am I using
an incorrect url?

Hi Walt,

I thought you had downloaded the utility HTTRACK, but it sounds like
you were trying to use their website to do the job. No, you first
have to get the tool to go and get Reggie's work:

Go to the download page at:
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html
in the column marked "Choose file to download" select the first item
below that heading called "httrack-3.40-2.exe". Run this installer,
start the program, AND THEN follow my instructions already provided.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Bingo, Richard!!! Thanks a million.

Walt
Old August 31st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I'm very sorry to hear this news. On this NG and a few similar technical
groups, there are a handful of people whose posts are mandatory reading for
me. Mr. Edwards ranked very high in that list. I've also found his
technical programs to be useful again and again. That's saying something,
considering the wealth of technical programs available on the internet.

His non-technical writings are equally impressive to me. If you haven't
read "A Bit About Reg" recently, take another look.

http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/page2.html#S205

This and some similar diversions in newsgroup posts disprove (for me) the
stereotype of the technologist as being somehow limited outside his narrow
field of expertise.

Here's hoping that wherever he is, the propagation is good, the wine
excellent, and the technical discussions lively and spirited.

73--Nick, WA5BDU

Old August 31st 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

That's very sad news. Although we sometimes sparred, I've always admired
and had great respect for Reg's depth of knowledge and his ability to
solve problems at the most basic level -- and his willingness to share
with others. He will be greatly missed.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL