Old August 30th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Reg Edwards (G4FGQ)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:40:53 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

************** repeated post from another thread *********************
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:52:52 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:12:20 -0700, Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:17:44 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

I hope it's not true about Reg. That would be a huge loss. Perhaps
somebody will archive his website.

Hi Jim,

The announcement came from his account, and his computer.

I've archived his site, but for others who wish to do the same, the
best tool for that purpose can be found at:
http://www.httrack.com

This is a website harvesting robot that will replicate an entire
website into the directory of your choice (changing links so that you
can browse it on your system).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, I've just reviewed the url above, and found that I don't know how to
use it to download Reg's web page. I see that you've already downloaded it, so
could I download it from your copy?

Walt, W2DU

Hi Walt,

The paths are tied intimately to my file system hierarchy (which is
pretty deep). Rather, I will give you a walk-thru. In spite of the
apparent complexity (it is a technician's tool), it is quite simple to
use with only two or three particulars to satisfy:
1. As directed on the front page, press the NEXT button;
2. On the next page for Project Name, enter Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
3. Below that (skip the category), click the ellipses button to open
a storage path and select an existing folder the website will be
stored here in a folder named Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
4. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;
5. leave the ACTION selection at "Download web site(s)";
6. past Reggie's top level page,
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp, into the Web Addresses text
box;
7. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;
8. At the next page, Press the FINISH button at the bottom.

This will start the robots harvesting with a view of them on a new
page that shows each robot in its own thread - about half a dozen of
them running simultaneously. Depending on the load at the server, the
entire process should take 5 minutes or so at T1 speeds. The total
download is 4.33MB.

The robot activity screen will disappear at the end of the harvesting.

I can zip up a copy (sorry Reg) and mail it for those who want a copy
that is located at the drive root (I did this down load again to
confirm the steps described above).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 30th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[...]

Thanks, Richard, as Reg would say, "I'll give it a go."

Walt
Old August 30th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

This is a terrible shock. Please accept my condolences.

Sometimes the measure of a human life is the size of the empty space
that's left behind. We're going to miss some first-class arguments in
future; and above all, we're going to miss the man.

--
Ian White, GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old August 30th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks, Richard, as Reg would say, "I'll give it a go."

For Linux and other Unix-type-system users, a simple

wget -r http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/

will grab everything, and fix all of the links in the .html files
to be page-relative so that the mirrored copy is self-consistent.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old August 30th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:16:08 -0700, Richard Clark wrote:

[...]

Richard,thanks for the walk-thru outline, but none of the pages that come up
with the url above have a 'next' button. Apparently, a different page comes up
when you access the url. Any suggestions?

Walt

Old August 30th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The problem may be due to too quickly writing up the instructions, All
instructions are specific to HTTRACK operations, note ammendments:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:49:01 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

1. As directed on the front page, press the NEXT button;
2. On the next page for Project Name, enter Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
3. Below that (skip the category), click the ellipses button to open
a storage path and select an existing folder the website will be
stored here in a folder named Reg Edwards G4FGQ;
4. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;
5. leave the ACTION selection at "Download web site(s)";
6. past Reggie's top level page,
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp, into the Web Addresses text
box;

PASTE Reggie's top level page, http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp,
into the Web Addresses text box IN HTTRACK;
7. Press the NEXT button at the bottom;

7. Press the NEXT button at the bottom IN HTTRACK;
8. At the next page, Press the FINISH button at the bottom.

Richard,thanks for the walk-thru outline, but none of the pages that come up
with the url above have a 'next' button. Apparently, a different page comes up
when you access the url. Any suggestions?

Hi Walt,

The url was for cut and paste into HTTRACK's text window. This is for
the robots to use as their top level address to drill-down into the
website. No browsers need be open to perform this.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 30th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Reg Edwards wrote:
We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

Reg Edwards was a fine man, and a learned controversialist, who gave as
much entertainment as he took. All of us old wives are going to miss him
immensely.

Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old August 30th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

Very sorry to hear the news. We will all miss Reg.

Regards,

Frank

Old August 30th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

I just saw this, my condolences to you all.

Reg will be truly missed.

73
H., NQ5H

Old August 31st 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

wrote:

We regret to inform you of the passing away of Reg Edwards (G4FGQ) on
Monday 28th August 2006. We would like to thank all correspondants on
his behalf for the many years of entertainment that you have given
him.

Regards,

The Edwards Family

I was very sorry to hear the news. he always answered my crazy posts and helped me off line w/any technical questions

learned a lot

always
ml