Old September 17th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What antenna for receiving video signal from ISS ?

Hi,

I live in Europe. I 'd like to know if it could be possible to receive video
signal from ISS (the one usually sent to Houston) when it crosses the sky
over europe and display the pictures on a normal TV (not via NASA TV).

Could it be possible to pick up the signal with a normal satellite dish (and
of what diameter) and on which frequencies ?
In addition, could the signal be encrypted to prevent any reading ?

I haven't found any information about that on the net but I could imagine
that we you are able to pick up radio communication from ISS and NASA can
receive their video, it could be also possible to receive the video as well
(in the same way at weather imags).

Thanks for your lights

Thierry

Old September 18th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Rayburn" wrote in message
A plain wire dipole and a frequency of 14.313.00 will let you revcieve all
the "SPACE NUTS" you want ROFL!

Hard to believe that ISS transmits its video in HF when it needs a TDRS...

Old September 18th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thierry wrote in message ...

"Rayburn" wrote in message
A plain wire dipole and a frequency of 14.313.00 will let you revcieve all
the "SPACE NUTS" you want ROFL!

Hard to believe that ISS transmits its video in HF when it needs a TDRS...

I think 14.313 is some kind of ham net. The ISS is almost certainly
transmitting digital video via microwave, more than likely encrypted.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 19th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You fella's dont get out much do ya?

14.313.00

thats the frequency so many nut cases and fruitcakes hang out on and fight
daily......As in a bunch of space cases!

99.9% of the world ham and shortwave population knows about it...I guess I
just found the "TWO" that dont LOL!

Old September 20th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Rayburn" wrote in message
You fella's dont get out much do ya?

14.313.00

thats the frequency so many nut cases and fruitcakes hang out on and fight
daily......As in a bunch of space cases!

99.9% of the world ham and shortwave population knows about it...I guess I
just found the "TWO" that dont LOL!

FYI

I checked the nice ARISS website from Radio Amateurs of Canada at
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/oindex.htm

On the site, updated to yesterday, they give this info:

quote
Frequencies in use

The following frequencies are currently used for ARISS general QSO's
Voice and Packet Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for Region 1 (Europe, Central Asia and Africa)
Packet Uplink: 145.99 (Worldwide)
Crossband FM repeater downlink: 145.80 MHz (Worldwide)
Crossband FM repeater uplink: 437.80 MHz (Worldwide)

All frequencies are subject to Doppler shifting.
end quote

Note the total absence of HF. Modest antennas will work the ISS. Haven't
researched it [yet]. However, if 5 watts can work repeaters at 80 miles
using a j-pole, a mobile ought to do the ISS, assuming there aren't a bunch
of big-gun stations calling, too.

What's the claimed QRP record for an ISS QSO?

Idine Ghoreishian -by- Idine Ghoreishian { The SPGC Antenna by RHF } RHF Shortwave 6 May 22nd 06 07:38 AM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 11:12 PM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM
Question for better antenna mavens than I Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 28th 03 10:16 AM