Old October 22nd 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Has morse code saved any lives recently?

Dee Flint wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message
ps.com...

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.
Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

I guess this means if you were in the tower others would die because
you cant recongnise a flashing light on a boat as a distrress call
unless its in morse.

Unless one does know the distress signal in Morse, why would anyone consider
that someone was signaling a problem. They could just as easily have
thought it was some kids goofing off.

Dee, N8UZE

Good thing you dont stand watch.

Old October 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

I haven't really been following this thread, so I'll assume it
originated by someone who thinks the code requirement (here in the USA)
should be removed from the license requirements. Personally, I don't
think it needs to be removed because with a little practice, anyone can
do 5 WPM. In fact, I recall a young man of about 5 years old getting his
license many years ago...it used to be written up in one of the chapters
of the ARRL handbook. If you don't want to learn code, we have the
Technician class license for that. Anyhow, where in the rules does it
say a ham is required to know code to possibly save a life one day?
It's just something they came up with to use in testing for a license.
From the FCC rules:

97.3 Definitions.
(a) The definitions of terms used in Part 97 a

(4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of
self-training,
intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs,
that is,
duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a
personal aim
and without pecuniary interest.

Old October 22nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message
ps.com...

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

[...]

Since I know Morse code, it wouldn't be a problem. Just because a light is
being flashed, doesn't mean it is a distress signal. If I were standing
watch, I'd make sure that I was conversant with the various distress signals
that might be used.

Dee, N8UZE

Old October 22nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

"JIMMIE" wrote in
ps.com:

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.
Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

I guess this means if you were in the tower others would die because
you cant recongnise a flashing light on a boat as a distrress call
unless its in morse.

No, Only if you were in the boat.

SC
Old October 22nd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.

Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

Is it still Morse Code if the speed is measured in words per hour?

Imagine lighting and extinguishing a torch to send SOS. Bring your
lunch and fire extinguisher.

Old October 22nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

wrote in
ups.com:

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.

Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

Is it still Morse Code if the speed is measured in words per hour?

Imagine lighting and extinguishing a torch to send SOS. Bring your
lunch and fire extinguisher.

ROFL! What a dip****.

In the UK, a flashlight is a torch. You're getting to be as bad as Mark
in the Dark. I knew if you two put your cards together you still wouldn't
be playing with a full deck.

SC
Old October 22nd 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.

Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

Is it still Morse Code if the speed is measured in words per hour?

Imagine lighting and extinguishing a torch to send SOS. Bring your
lunch and fire extinguisher.

ROFL! What a dip****.

In the UK, a flashlight is a torch.

Must be a plastic one. My aluminum maglight won't catch fire unless
you jack it up in a 225 amp lincoln stick welder.

Old October 22nd 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.

Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

Is it still Morse Code if the speed is measured in words per hour?

Imagine lighting and extinguishing a torch to send SOS.

In the UK, one of the common meanings of "torch" is what Americans call
a "flashlight".

Bring your
lunch and fire extinguisher.

This may explain your confusion:

Story:

http://www.local6.com/education/10097181/detail.html

Rankings:

http://www.local6.com/education/10097048/detail.html

PA: 10th
MN: 13th
TN: 30th
OH: 34th
CA: 47th

Old October 22nd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

There was recently a thread here on the subject of whether morse had
saved any lives recently. Well it has in the UK!

Have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6070444.stm

"Torch used in Morse code rescue.

Coastguards in Hampshire have rescued a sailor who used his torch to
flash an SOS message in Morse code."

Ian.

Boy, Lenny Anderson is going to be ****ed. That's not the sort
of CW news he likes to hear. Lucky for the sailor there was
still someone out there that knew code.

SC

Is it still Morse Code if the speed is measured in words per hour?

Imagine lighting and extinguishing a torch to send SOS.

In the UK, one of the common meanings of "torch" is what Americans call
a "flashlight".

I guess that's the difference between Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals.

Bring your
lunch and fire extinguisher.

This may explain your confusion:

I happen to know the difference between flashlights and torches.
Cavemen carry torches.

Old October 22nd 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

In message .com,
writes

Slow Code wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote in
:

[...]

Oops! I didn't spot that problem. I should realised that 'torch' would
cause confusion among you benighted Merkins. Being British, but having a
Merkin daughter-in-law, I am reasonably bilingual these days. It's very
interesting how the English language has diverged. However, be assured
that, in the UK, we have progressed to using flashlights and torches
interchangeably these days.
Ian.