Old July 21st 05, 03:33 AM
John Smith

Default FCC proposes to drop CW requirement on HF

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Old July 21st 05, 04:26 AM
Dan Conti

John Smith wrote:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

It's about time....

Old July 21st 05, 12:20 PM
Joel Rubin

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:33:36 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other technical tests. It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of bygone
technology.

Old July 21st 05, 12:31 PM
dxAce

wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other technical tests. It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of bygone
technology.

If one cannot learn at least a minimal 5 WPM code then they have absolutely no
business obtaining an amateur license.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 21st 05, 02:09 PM
Brenda Ann

"beerbarrel" wrote in message

wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other technical tests. It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of bygone
technology.

If one cannot learn at least a minimal 5 WPM code then they have

absolutely no
business obtaining an amateur license.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Agreed!

Wazziss??? I'm in full agreement with Tracy and Steve on something.. *looks
around for the four horsemen of the apocolypse*

Old July 21st 05, 03:29 PM
MnMikew

wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other technical tests.

It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of bygone
technology.

If one cannot learn at least a minimal 5 WPM code then they have

absolutely no
business obtaining an amateur license.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Agreed!

Wazziss??? I'm in full agreement with Tracy and Steve on something..

*looks
around for the four horsemen of the apocolypse*

It would be more of an incentive for me to get my ticket if I could use HF.
I have ZERO interest in CW. Maybe open a little HF for techs?

Old July 21st 05, 04:44 PM

wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other technical tests.

It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of bygone
technology.

If one cannot learn at least a minimal 5 WPM code then they have

absolutely no
business obtaining an amateur license.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Agreed!

Wazziss??? I'm in full agreement with Tracy and Steve on something..

*looks
around for the four horsemen of the apocolypse*

It would be more of an incentive for me to get my ticket if I could use HF.
I have ZERO interest in CW. Maybe open a little HF for techs?

Many of us had ZERO interest in CW. And it wasn't easy for us either.
Learn just enough to pass and never use it again.
There should be no free lunch.

Old July 21st 05, 05:15 PM
MnMikew

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Yes, perhaps. But the CW requirement probably keeps a lot of people out of
ham radio.

Old July 21st 05, 05:21 PM
dxAce

MnMikew wrote:

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

The written test probably does as well. Should that also be dropped.

If one can't learn even a minimum 5 WPM then they have no business in amateur
radio. 5 WPM is incredibly easy, heck, even the 'tards should be able to master
that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 21st 05, 05:31 PM
John Smith

MnMikew:

Interesting theory. We could propose a test to see if what you say is
true.

Say, require a person to do 5 WPM before they can use usenet, IRC or
IM clients? ROFLOL!

Perhaps we would find it is actually a "good thing." Next we could
require a person be able to rollerskate 5 miles over rough pavement
before we allow them a drivers license? I mean, what if traffic is
too heavy or their car breaks down--it will be useful! grin

John

"MnMikew" wrote in message