Old January 22nd 04, 09:51 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"'Doc" wrote in message ...
H.,
When you find out that the aluminum/copper base
makes no difference at all, can I have the one you
don't want?
'Doc

So you have done the measurements?
And no, I'm gonna run two screwdrivers; Then I can talk to myself.
;^))))))))))
H.

Old January 22nd 04, 10:19 AM
Mark Keith

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Mark Keith wrote:

"H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H" wrote:
band Hustler Screwdriver 103"/BugCatcher/54"
80 21 ohms 9 ohms 23 ohms
I really thought the huge bug catcher would do better.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the problem. Is the bugcatcher failing to
perform?

With that much whip and base section, the bugcatcher coil probably
had shorted turns to raise the resonant frequency. It is well known
that shorted turns on a high-Q coil lowers the Q. (Try a shorted turn
on an iron core choke.)

Shouldn't be that big a deal. I have some number of shorted turns on
mine all the time. Doesn't seem to hurt mine too much. Also my normal
"mast" is only wire . Not having a thick mast doesn't seem to hurt
much either in my case. Dunno...It still seems weird to me. That
bugcatcher should be the clear winner, unless the screwdriver is about
the same height, coil position, etc. MK
Old January 22nd 04, 10:31 AM
H. Adam Stevens

om...

Mark Keith wrote:

"H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H" wrote:
band Hustler Screwdriver 103"/BugCatcher/54"
80 21 ohms 9 ohms 23 ohms
I really thought the huge bug catcher would do better.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the problem. Is the bugcatcher failing to
perform?

With that much whip and base section, the bugcatcher coil probably
had shorted turns to raise the resonant frequency. It is well known
that shorted turns on a high-Q coil lowers the Q. (Try a shorted turn
on an iron core choke.)

Shouldn't be that big a deal. I have some number of shorted turns on
mine all the time. Doesn't seem to hurt mine too much. Also my normal
"mast" is only wire . Not having a thick mast doesn't seem to hurt
much either in my case. Dunno...It still seems weird to me. That
bugcatcher should be the clear winner, unless the screwdriver is about
the same height, coil position, etc. MK

I thought so too.
Must be the dirty threads.
Not at all realistic anyway.
I used the same bugcatcher configuration with a roof mount on a Pontiac in
1970; worked great but not in motion.
H.
NQ5H

Old January 22nd 04, 10:32 AM
Mark Keith

"Crazy George" wrote in message ...
I played with the Hustler when it was introduced, and got the impression it
was a loser 40 years ago. I now wonder if that lower mast is purposely
lossy. Or maybe just accidentally lossy and they ran with it. Looks good
on SWR meters which hams are infamous for.

The hustlers I tried had pretty lossy coils. I've never seen any
problems with the solid masts, but I've never tried the folding type.
In theory, they should be ok also, unless they have a problem with
dirt or corrosion. But the coils....
I hate those things....I once did a comparison using a large 80m
resonator against the coil on my homebrew plastic bugcatcher. It wuz
ugly...My homebrew coil was much less lossy. I'll never use a hustler
coil for anything serious. And being I'm always serious, that means
never... :/ MK