Old November 19th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default OT Operating question

I have lost track of the year I received my Ham License. I have known
for a long time that I no longer had the info but it seemed a
non-issue until last night. I heard quite a few stations on 20M in the
Sweep Stakes Contest. I usually make a few contacts just for fun when
I encounter a contest. I was unable join in last night because one of
the information bites required was the year of license. I suspect the
FCC and the ARRL no longer have the data. I am disinclined to
intentionally lie. The best I can do is make a guess of 1960.

Does anyone have access to call books around that time? It was a long
time before I could afford a call book...

BTW, I received my W8 call when others were getting K8's.

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old November 19th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Ferrell wrote:
Does anyone have access to call books around that time? It was a long
time before I could afford a call book...

You are apparently qualified to join the Old Old Timer's Club.
They will check your claim and tell you when your call first
appeared in a Call Book. http://www.ootc.us/
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old November 19th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Ferrell wrote:
I have lost track of the year I received my Ham License. I have known
for a long time that I no longer had the info but it seemed a
non-issue until last night. I heard quite a few stations on 20M in the
Sweep Stakes Contest. I usually make a few contacts just for fun when
I encounter a contest. I was unable join in last night because one of
the information bites required was the year of license. I suspect the
FCC and the ARRL no longer have the data. I am disinclined to
intentionally lie. The best I can do is make a guess of 1960.

Does anyone have access to call books around that time? It was a long
time before I could afford a call book...

BTW, I received my W8 call when others were getting K8's.

I'm in the same boat, I've lost track of when I got my Novice ticket,
it was "around" 1953. Or maybe it was 1954 . . or was it 1955? Does it
really matter?? No. Next time pick a date out of your hat and enjoy the
contest.

John Ferrell W8CCW

w3rv

Old November 19th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
I have lost track of the year I received my Ham License. I have known
for a long time that I no longer had the info but it seemed a
non-issue until last night. I heard quite a few stations on 20M in the
Sweep Stakes Contest. I usually make a few contacts just for fun when
I encounter a contest. I was unable join in last night because one of
the information bites required was the year of license. I suspect the
FCC and the ARRL no longer have the data. I am disinclined to
intentionally lie. The best I can do is make a guess of 1960.

Does anyone have access to call books around that time? It was a long
time before I could afford a call book...

BTW, I received my W8 call when others were getting K8's.

John Ferrell W8CCW

I forget where it was but back in the mid 60s? The fcc lost a lot of
records when the building burnt down.
Joe

Old November 19th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

the arrl has taken pity on you real ot's whos memory is failing... they have
stated in the past that they don't care if you use the proper year or not,
just pick one and stick with it for the contest. they won't check, nor will
anyone be penalized for using the wrong number.

Old November 19th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

I have lost track of the year I received my Ham License. I have known
for a long time that I no longer had the info but it seemed a
non-issue until last night. I heard quite a few stations on 20M in the
Sweep Stakes Contest. I usually make a few contacts just for fun when
I encounter a contest. I was unable join in last night because one of
the information bites required was the year of license. I suspect the
FCC and the ARRL no longer have the data. I am disinclined to
intentionally lie. The best I can do is make a guess of 1960.

Does anyone have access to call books around that time? It was a long
time before I could afford a call book...

BTW, I received my W8 call when others were getting K8's.

John Ferrell W8CCW

John,

I had excellent response from ARRL when I asked them about my
license. But even better, there is a guy who has every call book
printed, I believe, who will look you up and determine the first book
that you were listed in. He is W3HF, Steve Melachrinos, and can be
emailed at: . He can be a bit slow on response, but he
WILL get back to you.

Ed K7AAT / ex WB6SAT

Old November 20th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:22:31 GMT, John Ferrell
wrote:

I have lost track of the year I received my Ham License.

After considering the advice here, I think the date remains a
non-issue. If asked I will claim "about 1960". It is a little
embarrasing that I have been a Ham that long and have contributed so
little. Early on I appreciated the welcome I received from so many
Hams. Nearly all were older than I. There were those who had no time
for kids or new Hams. I remember they were there, but no details.

I do remember my mentors.
John Ferrell W8CCW

Old November 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I encounter a contest. I was unable join in last night because one of
the information bites required was the year of license. I suspect the
FCC and the ARRL no longer have the data. I am disinclined to
intentionally lie. The best I can do is make a guess of 1960.

No one cares (including the contest sponsor) if you just pick a year. Just
don't change it during the middle of the contest.

Tor
N4OGW