Old February 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
Attila The Hun

Bob McConnell wrote:

I am curious about one thing. In 1977 I took the FCC test series for
the commercial phone license. I breezed through third class and passed
the second class elements, but missed first class by 6 points. If I
had turned around and taken the amateur tests at that time, without
the code requirement, what license would I have ended up with?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

I received my Novice license in late 1974, and worked my way up the
amateur ranks to Advanced. I then moved over to the commercial exams,
and worked up to First Class. I may be wrong, but I don't think you
could get any class of amateur license, without a code test, back in
those days.
Old February 3rd 04, 12:17 AM
W4JLE

When I took my test in 1957, the FCC guy testing , told me the most
difficult test was the amateur advanced.

I took the General Ham and all commercial elements through 1st class and
RADAR endorsement. At that time, there was a time requirement between the
amateur licenses, ergo I was not eligible to take the advanced or extra.

Back then You both sent and received Morse, and a solid one minute out of
three was the passing mark. The test itself consisted of drawing schematics,
supplying missing components to a schematic, etc. Unlike today's NO CODE, No
ELECTRONICS exams.

The fact that they were tough to pass, marked passage into a select group
called HAMS. After waiting about five weeks I finally received that magical
piece of paper that allowed me to contact other members of the fraternity.

My first contact was on 3885 Kcs, checking into the Graveyard Net, finally
getting to talk to the mystical voices I had listened to on my Hammurland
HQ-129X.

Among the biggest thrills of my life.

Old February 3rd 04, 01:14 AM
Cecil Moore

W4JLE wrote:
When I took my test in 1957, the FCC guy testing , told me the most
difficult test was the amateur advanced.

Heh, heh, good thing I was drunk when I took mine. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 3rd 04, 01:18 AM
Minnie Bannister

And in some European countries a decade or three back (I don't know if
it's still the same), the tests for a driver's license had questions
about mechanical theory (e.g., what is actually happening under the hood
when you put your foot on the clutch?) and practical tests (e.g.,
changing a wheel).

Perhaps today's US driver's licenses are worthless too, and perhaps the
people who get them aren't really DRIVERS. Perhaps the only "real
DRIVERS" today are the people who pass the tests for membership of the
Institute of Advanced Motorists (which existed in Britain when I was
growing up, maybe still does) or its equivalent in other countries.

Alan AB2OS

On 02/02/04 07:17 pm W4JLE put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Old February 3rd 04, 01:50 AM
W4JLE

You miss the point completely, there was pride in becoming a ham, simply
because it was difficult. Once obtained, one behaved as a person worthy of
being called a ham.

The worst behavior I remember back then was W2OY who used to call "CQ No
kids, no lids, no drugstore cowboys..." Unlike the profanity of the bands
today.

With the new age thinking , that finds achievement unfair to those that have
not achieved, we have lowered the bar so those who were incapable of
competing can be included as well.

First it was "why should I learn the code it is only an obstacle to my
desires", the point is all endevors in life have a price of admission, if
your not willing to pay, you don't get in the show. At least thats the way
it used to be, today if I whine enough about fairness someone will give it
to me.

Where does it end? I want to be a brain surgeon, I just don't want to spend
time learning all that medical stuff, it's just not FAIR... Would you want
me as your doctor?

Old February 3rd 04, 03:09 AM
Bob McConnell

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:24:44 -0600, Attila The Hun
wrote:

Bob McConnell wrote:

I am curious about one thing. In 1977 I took the FCC test series for
the commercial phone license. I breezed through third class and passed
the second class elements, but missed first class by 6 points. If I
had turned around and taken the amateur tests at that time, without
the code requirement, what license would I have ended up with?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

I received my Novice license in late 1974, and worked my way up the
amateur ranks to Advanced. I then moved over to the commercial exams,
and worked up to First Class. I may be wrong, but I don't think you
could get any class of amateur license, without a code test, back in
those days.

That is correct. The first codeless license (Technician) was
introduced Feb 1991. But how did the written portions compare between
the amateur and commercial licenses?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old February 3rd 04, 07:36 AM
Helmut

Hello Alan and group,

"Minnie Bannister" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
And in some European countries a decade or three back (I don't know if
it's still the same), the tests for a driver's license had questions
about mechanical theory (e.g., what is actually happening under the hood
when you put your foot on the clutch?)

This is still going this way. You need to have 15 hours theoretical
education and 20 hours driving education under supervision of a driving
instructor. Costs you about 1000.- Euros, about 1250 US $. You have to do it
with a driving school to securely pass the exam. But the DL then is valid
livelong.

The only thing they changed is the oral test. They took away most of it and
changed it to a standardized computer test.

and practical tests (e.g. changing a wheel).

They discontinued this, but they teach you how to change a wheel and how to
mount snowchains whilst in the practice-hours with your driving instructor.

Perhaps today's US driver's licenses are worthless too, and perhaps the
people who get them aren't really DRIVERS.

I know the difference, I hold a valid California DL for cars, trucks and
motorbikes

Perhaps the only "real
DRIVERS" today are the people who pass the tests for membership of the
Institute of Advanced Motorists (which existed in Britain when I was
growing up, maybe still does) or its equivalent in other countries.

Alan AB2OS

This was kind of out of topic. Concerning the amateur license, the test were
oral and written, the full nine miles through all the technical and
operational questions, for both the CEPT 2 and CEPT 1 licenses. The only
difference in testing for HF privileges was the CW test, where you had to
send and receive. At my time in the late 80's 13wpm (60 signs per minute),
and lateley they dropped to 25 signs per minute, which equals 5 wpm. The
test is still held at the Authorities QTH in the state capitals. After the
recent workaround of the requirements after the WRC 2003 in Geneva, You are
not requested to make the CW test. But you can do it voluntary after
seperate application, and as long as the authority will be able to supply CW
capable Examiners

Best regards and 73
de OE8SOQ
Helmut

Old February 4th 04, 03:06 AM
Attila The Hun

Bob McConnell wrote:

That is correct. The first codeless license (Technician) was
introduced Feb 1991. But how did the written portions compare between
the amateur and commercial licenses?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

I remember the First Phone as being the toughest test. There were a lot
of questions about tube type circuits, and I was only familiar with
solid state. The amateur tests had been "modernized" with transistor
circuit questions, but the commercial tests were on "fifties" era circuits.
Old February 4th 04, 07:20 AM
W4JLE

I have taken them all at one time or another so can't give you an exact
comparison, for my money the advanced amateur was the hardest.

As I cut my teeth on "Hollow State", the tube stuff was easy. You haven't
lived until you have a rig with 3B24's emitting their purple glow into the
shack.

Old February 4th 04, 03:07 PM
Cecil Moore

W4JLE wrote:
As I cut my teeth on "Hollow State", the tube stuff was easy. You haven't
lived until you have a rig with 3B24's emitting their purple glow into the
shack.

Along with the VR-150's pulsating to the sound of your voice on AM.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp