Old December 10th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Material of wi does it affect a loop antenna's performance?

So, I want to make a loop antenna for AM, and I'd like to ask a
question that I guess must have been asked time and time again: Does
the material used to make the wire (copper, steel, aluminum) affect the
inductance of the loop?

Old December 10th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ungvichian wrote:
So, I want to make a loop antenna for AM, and I'd like to ask a
question that I guess must have been asked time and time again: Does
the material used to make the wire (copper, steel, aluminum) affect the
inductance of the loop?

It affects the Q more than the inductance. Stainless
steel 75m mobile loading coils have been measured
to be 4+ dB down from a copper coil. If you want
a really efficient AM loop, use a super-conductor. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 11th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I can see it now, Cecil - Fox Hunts of the future!
Pull into the gas station, pump 20 gallons of Super Unleaded into the
tank, and 12 pints of Helium 3 into the Dewar flask...
denny / k8do

Old December 11th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
If you want
a really efficient AM loop, use a super-conductor. :-)

Denny:

Helium wells? Naa, they are a myth just like hydrogen wells are, Arnold
is just blowing smoke when he wants more californian's using hydrogen
cars. At least, I think we still get hydrogen the old fashioned way, by
using electricity to break water down into oxygen and hydrogen. And, we
still get electricity the old fashioned way, by burning oil in
generating plants!

Ahhh, California, the land of smoke and mirrors!

Regards,
JS
Old December 11th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Helium wells? Naa, they are a myth just like hydrogen wells are, Arnold
Regards,
JS

And before someone calls me on it, yes, I do know there is helium
trapped in oil wells!

JS

Old December 11th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Ahhh, California, the land of smoke and mirrors!

I thought it was fruits and nuts.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 11th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
And before someone calls me on it, yes, I do know there is helium
trapped in oil wells!

Virtually all of the known trapped helium in
the world is in Texas. Wonder how it got there?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 11th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Ahhh, California, the land of smoke and mirrors!

I thought it was fruits and nuts.

Cecil:

There are sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut (or fingers silent
on the keyboard), least I be unforgivably un-politically correct, this
is one of those times. evil grin

I look forward to retirement--and leaving calif

Regards,
JS

Old December 12th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dunno why it is in Texas as opposed to Siberia, or the Antarctic
actually we haven't really checked there, have we?, or in deep wells
along the equator... Anyway, the book ATOM gives a great, pop version
of the cosmology of the elements and why Helium is here and there... I
don't necessarily buy into his version of cosmology and that the Big
Bang is the end all and be all of the universe, but he does a bang up
job of presenting it...

denny / k8do